Low cost slim glass scale

$54 for a slim glass scale they are $140 from anyplace else, i think i'm not understanding you
PM makes good stuff but cheap it is not.
Nope, I think you understood me, sometimes I do not communicate well. I like what you found and if you want to install yourself with a touch DRO I see that as a very appealing option. I wanted to get equipment I could work with a quickly as possible so when I ordered my equipment I optioned out. The DRO's I have are very satisfying to use and I like the displays; however, what you are looking at appear to me to be just as good.

I had a close friend once who bought a used sail boat and I looked at it and started identifying improvements which could be made. I have carried the memory of his reply with me ever since, he said, "My hobby is sailing, not working on a sail boat".

I have built machines in the past, I have repaired and restored old machines, welders, tools, etc.... I'd rather use my tools to do something than to work on my tools....

I found this on amazon it is almost as small as the Sino KA-200 series and a lot cheaper, i ordered one to test out.
I have those scales (from the same Amazon seller) on my mini-mill and they've been working fine for the past year or so with the TouchDRO adapter. The PCB iside the scale read head is encased in epoxy, so figuring out the pinout was a bit tricky, but it all worked out OK without problems.

Nope, I think you understood me, sometimes I do not communicate well. I like what you found and if you want to install yourself with a touch DRO I see that as a very appealing option. I wanted to get equipment I could work with a quickly as possible so when I ordered my equipment I optioned out. The DRO's I have are very satisfying to use and I like the displays; however, what you are looking at appear to me to be just as good.

I had a close friend once who bought a used sail boat and I looked at it and started identifying improvements which could be made. I have carried the memory of his reply with me ever since, he said, "My hobby is sailing, not working on a sail boat".

I have built machines in the past, I have repaired and restored old machines, welders, tools, etc.... I'd rather use my tools to do something than to work on my tools....
right now i'm more into working on my tools but i know what you are saying

I have those scales (from the same Amazon seller) on my mini-mill and they've been working fine for the past year or so with the TouchDRO adapter. The PCB iside the scale read head is encased in epoxy, so figuring out the pinout was a bit tricky, but it all worked out OK without problems.
could you share the pin out, the scale just came in and no pinout included but they look nice and small.

could you share the pin out, the scale just came in and no pinout included but they look nice and small.
Chances are it uses standard Ditron/Sino pinout (shown at the bottom of this page: Supported Optical and Magnetic DRO Scales), or the "other" Chinese pinout that some weird brands use. If you take apart the D-Sub connector, it will be pretty obvious which one it is.

I ordered one of these to see what they are, and can check once it's here (should be later today or tomorrow).

Chances are it uses standard Ditron/Sino pinout (shown at the bottom of this page: Supported Optical and Magnetic DRO Scales), or the "other" Chinese pinout that some weird brands use. If you take apart the D-Sub connector, it will be pretty obvious which one it is.

I ordered one of these to see what they are, and can check once it's here (should be later today or tomorrow).
ycroosh you are the best, even if you don't let us hy-jack your threads lol
on a related note is there any reason that i could not mount the read head fixed and attach one end of the glass scale part to the moving part of my machine only on one end leaving it free to swivel, constrained to only swivel relative to the attachment point not the read head? the read head would serve to constrain the scale body as it moved back and forth.
also i got my sample in and here is a photo of the read head.
i pulled this off of their website
the connector is 9 pin and the side of the read head states TTL so i assume the top pinout is the correct one in the link
it is too early to tell for sure but these are a crap ton smaller than the other cheap Vevor glass scales i bought, which works out for me because the ones i'm not using on my mill will work on my lathe.

BTW the 370mm unit was $59.53 with tax

Attachments

• IMG_6255.jpeg
    IMG_6255.jpeg
    167.6 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Back