[Newbie] Mach 3 Or 4??

No sure if this is what your asking but part of the GCode does define the feed rate and can be and often is set for each operation. for instance
G1 x2 y3 F10 would be to move to X=2 and Y=3 (if in absolute mode) and the F10 means to move at a rate of 10 units per second or 10 inches per second in my case. There is a maximum feed rate that is set in the Mach3 configuration pages but operational feed rates should be defined in the Gcode. I don't know if Feed rates for engraving tend to be constant but for Metal Milling work the feed rates change based on the Type of Material, Type of Cutter, Size of Cutter, Depth of Cut etc. In fact there is a whole science if determining the correct FEEDs and SPEEDS for a given cut and many calculators to make the calculations for you or easier.

A simple test would be to use the Feed rate override during an engraving run. Mach 3 will allow you to increase (or decrease) the Feed rate by a percent up to 300% I think without getting into the GCode. I often use this to slow thing down for the first time I run a part or until I am sure there are no bad bugs in the gcode that might crash a tool.

I have used that, but after doing the motor tuning it doesnt make much of a difference in the rate. I think I am just not understanding how to do the motor tuning correctly for the machine I have, along with that I tune the motors, then go into calibrate them and thats when they slow way down unless I press the arrow keys then they move like crazy.

Motor Tuning Y.jpg
Here is a screen grab from my system. Calibration should only be effecting the "Steps Per" field and while it would have some impact on the speed it would do so at the expense of accuracy. In other words the "Steps Per" can only be one value to result in accurate reproduction of the G-Code.
The Velocity and Acceleration will have a dramatic impact on speed but should only impact accuracy if set so high that the system starts to miss steps either because it is accelerating too fast or the top speed is too fast.
If you want to keep working on this, then do you mind sharing a screen grab of your system. One when it is working good and one when it is not for comparison.

frozen
your question about feeds and speeds
yes the cad program sets the speed the machine will cut at
most software's do it by you selecting the material your cutting and the tool type and size your using
the line in the code looks like
" G01 F?.? " the question marks would be the speed the machine will cut at. there may also be a line number in front of that like " N???? "
Steve

just a recommendation...
I would keep the velocity under 40 or 50 until you know more about everything
I have the marks on a vise to show why I say this...
the estop is "not" the only button you can hit to stop motion. You can also hit escape or the space bar. or my favorite in a moment of terror, both hands pounding the keyboard.
Steve

sorry Boswell
I missed your message about feeds and speeds
Steve

Thanks for the help guys, I will take a look through the machine tonight. Steve I have hit the e-stop and the keyboard plenty since this got into my garage LOL

Back