[Newbie] Mach 3 Or 4??

Detail looks a lot better after wire brushing it. This weekend I will start going through the mill again to re-tune the motors.I think that the speed was most likely correct after looking at that aluminum tonight I realized how tough it was along with the engraving bit bring dull.

The part looks good. What metal is that? What is the profile of the engraving bit? I have been experimenting with different bits from 90deg to 30deg and a few different brands. For the 30deg bits it is easy to break the tip if I go to fast. My machine has a top RPM of 3000 which is very slow for engraving.

One more suggestion. I you have speeds that you think are reasonable then use that for a while to gain comfort and experience. Then over time slowing do things to optimize the speed one step at a time. I run my machine must faster than when I started a couple of years ago but I could also go faster. Another thing to consider is how many of something your going to make. If I am only going to make 1 or 2 then the run time on the machine is a small percent of the time it takes to make the part when you consider the CAD/CAM, Fixture and sometimes G-Code debugging. So I don't speed too much time trying to optimize the speed of a part. If I was going to make 100 parts, well that would justify some investment in speed optimization.

Thanks!
It was just a piece of scrap aluminum that I had in the garage. I'll dig out the bit when I get off work tonight and let you know, I think it might be 30 HSS though. My machine max is 1970. I would like to make a machine specific for engraving.

That is a 6x6 logo from our BBQ sauce company thought it would be a good test. after looking at the time it was close to 5hrs not 3. and looking at the detail I see why now.

how did you speed up the video
I would like to know how to do that
Steve

I use a gopro hero3 black edition with the suction cup attached to the front of the PM-45M. I set it up for time lapse taking photos every 5 seconds. I also plug in the GoPro to an external power source. There was over 4K photos to make that video. GoPro Cinema software will let you import those photos and turn make a video out of them as well.

Back