Machine Lube

I know that this is a debate carry out all over the web, but what is wrong with using iso32 and iso68 fluids?
They're high pressure but maybe not as slippery as needed.
I realize that it has to do with additives and such but it seems to me that the specialty oils cost a lot.
When I was bringing the Birmingham online I saw the iso oils spec'd a lot in the numerous manuals that
I read through.
Then also, mine is a hobbyist shop and not a production shop, but I've been in production shops where
all they use is non-detergent oil.
I'm using iso32 on the headstock gears and ball oilers, iso68 on the ways, lead screws, rods and such.
Bar & Chain oil sounds interesting. WD40, well.....

Nothing at all wrong with using ISO 32, 46, or 68 oils. Go for it!

Please, no WD-40!!!! it will kill a machine in due time!!!.

Bar and chain oil, well, uh... not in my shop. That's why I use true way oil!

I'm having a heck of a time trying to find way oil or machine lube for my small shop.
Thanks again for any and all help

"Waylube" is a light machine oil with added tacifiers that help it remain in place on vertical surfaces and resist being washed away by flood coolants or other cutting fluids.

Ask yourself several questions before going out of your way to purchase specialty lubricants designed for industrial use.
Do your machines run 8 or more hours per day
Do they run unattended
Are they run by employees whom care not at all about your equipment

If the answer to the above questions is No, buying a light oil called "way lube" is a bit of overkill, if however having a specifically named lube makes you feel better then have at it.

Dad picked up a 55 gal barrel of 30 wt motor oil from some where. He claimed it was found on the side of the road. This was way back in the early 1980's. He used it on the machines he had in the shop and as motor oil in the vehicle he had back then. I gave the last 10 gallons or so to a buddy of mine in 2003 when we closed the shop. Needless to say, the oil worked fine in those years for him! Should have kept the oil!

Back