Machine Lubricants

Vactra #2 way oil is not the same as spindle/hydraulic oil. It has stickiness added to it so it can cling to surfaces better, and is also formulated to stop slip/stick issues.

Vactra #2 way oil is not the same as spindle/hydraulic oil. It has stickiness added to it so it can cling to surfaces better, and is also formulated to stop slip/stick issues.
yep, it is meant to be a way oil, hence the added cost.
http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENINDMOMobil_Vactra_Oil_Numbered_Series.aspx

The extra cost won't help any in the gear box though. AW68 also has stuff in it to make it sticky, it will cling to change gears very well for example.
Like I said, NAPA in the gear box ( the correct oil for this application), and Vactra on the ways (the correct oil for this application).
All that said, you can put the vactra in the gear box, and AW68 on the ways and your great grandchildren will still be using the lathe.
Might as well dump $100.00/qt synthetic oil in the gear box as put Vactra in there, no real benefit.

Agree, Joshua. This is not rocket science, There are plenty of people out there using motor oil for everything and getting away with it. I do not recommend it, however. Whether I am changing the oil on my car or on my lathe I just try to to use the specified lubricants (or equivalent.) It is not that difficult to just RTFM (read the manual) and do what it says. Your great great grand kids will thank you. Actually, just writing the oil change date on the lathe with a sharpie might do more good by getting you to actually change it once in a while.

You can always add a can of STP to the ISO 68 oil to get the tackyness like way oil has! I know, it's still not the same, but it does work!

You can always add a can of STP to the ISO 68 oil to get the tackyness like way oil has! I know, it's still not the same, but it does work!
But Ken, is STP plus hydraulic oil cheaper than Vactra? By enough to make it worth the effort? Does it stop stick/slip? I agree that it will work, even cooking oil probably works -- for a while... 8^)

But Ken, is STP plus hydraulic oil cheaper than Vactra? By enough to make it worth the effort? Does it stop stick/slip? I agree that it will work, even cooking oil probably works -- for a while... 8^)

Just tried it once! Still have half of a quart of it (STP) here somewhere. Now have a 5 gal bucket of Chevron Way Oil. More like a life time supply of it!

STP is fun stuff, it spreads out to about one molecule thickness..........all over everything:cautious:

Back