machine skate prototype

OK, I understand about the hardened bolt now. I'll try it this way- it should a lot less than 500 lbs on each skate. Maybe it will work, maybe not!

Hadn't thought about outriggers. My feet are wider than the front to back depth of the lathe but I will sure keep that in mind. I don't have any idea how stable it will be.
Out riggers are always a good idea. Just watched a guy on you tube, with 3 or 4 young guys the Monarch went over and I think it scared the crap out of them all... brown streaks if you know what I mean.

Wouldn't take much to add some grease channels and holes couple grease fittings .
No, I had thought about that but it seems like a lot more trouble than needed for what I am going to use them for. After all they are not going miles, only inches. An initial coating of grease should be plenty.

Here's a video of what could have been worse
There are many more out there. Search on HM and you'll see guys singing the blues because they didn't think it would happen. I have a wood lathe that I move all the time. I made something that wheels it, but the mount attaches high up, so that there's some mass (motor) lower. It used to tip all the time, now it doesn't. I used that same system to move my SB 9 about a month or 2 ago. Outriggers are good insurance to losing your machine. You primarily need to outrig the head side, as it has the most top weight.

Here's a video of what could have been worse
There are many more out there. Search on HM and you'll see guys singing the blues because they didn't think it would happen. I have a wood lathe that I move all the time. I made something that wheels it, but the mount attaches high up, so that there's some mass (motor) lower. It used to tip all the time, now it doesn't. I used that same system to move my SB 9 about a month or 2 ago. Outriggers are good insurance to losing your machine. You primarily need to outrig the head side, as it has the most top weight.
I added outriggers to my mill drill base . I figured even something heavy or a leaning somebody would or could make it tip . With my luck it would crush someone or me but not kill me just make me worse . Plus it helps keep level better, with wide legs.

Finished the skates tonight. Just had to weld them together (chance to practice my tig welding) and fit everything together.

0517.jpg

Won't try them out until I get a DRO for the lathe and that has been set back for awhile. I did figure out that you will bust your a** if you try them out by standing on them !! :bang head:

Don't think I will paint them, just squirt some oil on them. I'll post again whenever I actually use them. If anybody has a need and wants to try them out let me know.

Ain't no doubt in my mind that they will work, very well done Mike.
If they were mine, the rollers would be packed with the thickest grease on hand, EP wheel bearing grease comes to mind.

. . . If they were mine, the rollers would be packed with the thickest grease on hand, EP wheel bearing grease comes to mind.
Good idea. I'll probably do that today before I put them away.

Groundhog:
I have a Lincoln TIG200 that I have been messing around with. I am curious what size Tungsten did you use and how many amps?

Thank you.

if it's not to late.........
had the same problems in my shop......to many heavy machines and not enough space.........
I made up a chassis frame for the lathe's and mill's....some were to low anyway.......
Colchester Student, 1/2 ton, Myford S7, Myford VMF mill and a Bridgeport J head mill, 1 ton ??.........this is so that I can move stuff around on a pallet truck........
the floor is not the best but never had a problem, any long jobs, have to play chess with the machines.......
clogs

7miles,
I was kinda messing around with some things I normally don't use. I have a Thermal Arc 200 AC/DC Arc Master. I usually just use a straight arc on DC but I used pulse this time - for no good reason. I was using 1/8" 2% lathanated tungsten (I think - the color coding is gone) at 185 amps with 75 amps background and 60% width @ 1 Hz. I use a 20 amp hot start.
That was probably too hot, but I wanted the bead to lay flat and had the pulse to keep it from going to extremes. Note that I had a 1/4" wide x 1/8" deep vee from the chamfers cut into the parts.

Normally I would probably just go with for a straight arc (without pulse) at 170 amps.

Back