Machinery's Handbook

I have a 22nd edition, 1985, and it works fine for me. It covers the early NC machines, which were just becoming more popular in industry at that time. On a whim, I also bought a brand new reprint of the 1st edition (1914) for really cheap, under $20 as I remember. The first edition is a really interesting read, and goes more in to depth on things like heat treating, steel making, and other subjects. The most amazing thing about the first edition is how savvy machinists were in those days. We are not so "advanced" as we sometimes think.

I have a 22nd edition, 1985, and it works fine for me. It covers the early NC machines, which were just becoming more popular in industry at that time. On a whim, I also bought a brand new reprint of the 1st edition (1914) for really cheap, under $20 as I remember. The first edition is a really interesting read, and goes more in to depth on things like heat treating, steel making, and other subjects. The most amazing thing about the first edition is how savvy machinists were in those days. We are not so "advanced" as we sometimes think.
Amen to that, Bob!

Thanks for all the input!

I'll start looking for a 40's/50's edition and a suitable guide to go with.

Regarding the pdf format being available for free, it is indeed and is referenced in an ealier post to this thread. The $5.99 Ebay offering sounds pretty fishy to me as it can be obtained for free. If you have the storage room on your device, get the free pdf by all means.
That being said, the pdf version is Very cumbersome to use due to its sheer volume and indexing can be a real pain in the neck. I have it on good authority that Santa (or the wife) is buying me a large print hardcopy version, so that will be nice. I’ll keep the pdf though.
Mark

Virtually all of the data that you will ever need is available on the interweb or free.
I have a 24th edition that was purchased new in the early 90's.
I haven't opened it in 10 years or more, make a good pitch and I may give it to you for the cost of shipping (-:

I have given unused tools to a number of members here in the past.

how about the electronic thing next to it. I can make a case for that. since most of the stuff is on the internet. Wish Santa would bring me one for the shop.

how about the electronic thing next to it. I can make a case for that. since most of the stuff is on the internet. Wish Santa would bring me one for the shop.
$230.00 Samsung Chromebook which is excellent for searching the web for data, when it gets broken, and it will in a machine shop just replace it, this is not like destroying a $5000.00 desk top work station (-:
I recall that when I bought the MH new in 1992 it cost $150.00 or so. In todays dollars that would buy a nice laptop.

@P. Waller - Very generous of you, Sir!

I'm not even sure I NEED such a thing as I don't know what's in it. I'm sort of going on the premise that there's no such thing as too much information.

Perhaps I could send you the money for shipping and take the opportunity to look it over. If I find it's Too Much of a Good Thing, I would either return it to you, or "pay it forward" by passing it to someone else in need on the same terms.

Does that seem reasonable?

Over time, most that get addicted to this hobby will build a small, or sometimes big, library of reference books. I've got a bunch including 3 different versions of the MH. I probably use my Engineer's Black Book https://www.engineersblackbook.com/ the most while working in my shop. I have the first edition. It has most of the information I need while working and the pages wipe off easily if you get oil, etc. on them.

But, I also wouldn't be without my MHs. They come in handy for me when I'm doing more design type work. I also have it in PDF format, but use the books the most. Are they necessary with all the info that's available on line? Nope, but they have come to be my "bible" in the machining world.

Ted

Back