Machinery's Handbook

I worked with one partner, the best millwright I've ever worked with, who was really into his work, he knew the bearing company histories and thread histories. He talked of John Deere threads on old tractors, but his take was that the standards just weren't there, they predated them. Each company then used their own. But I was never that dedicated. A Yammar might have the same couplings. Hydraulic fittings have a few standards, I wouldn't be surprised if the Japanese have a few as well.

When we come across a odd thread, we think it's proprietary, it might not always be the case. The Stanley plane is one I'm somewhat familiar with, as restoring old planes is an hobby. You don't dare lose screws. Another guy with the same disease , researched the thread use. Stanley planes were an 1860s invention and Stanley Works was notoriously cheap , so it made economic sense to use off the shelf. A 1860 British standard !

Because I am not a particularly nice person I have made non standard threaded parts in the past just to screw with people in the future.
I have stopped such childish behavior in the last few decades.
I suspect that there is someone right now trying to measure some of the 3/4"-17 TPI threads on parts that I made years ago for lathe fixtures and jigs.
This will be a learning experience (-:

Because I am not a particularly nice person I have made non standard threaded parts in the past just to screw with people in the future.
I suspect that there is someone right now trying to measure some of the 3/4"-17 TPI threads on parts that I made years ago for lathe fixtures and jigs.
:grin: I always made sure I was sole source provider

... job security? ... :alien:

I'm usually they guy who follows, and has to cope!

Gubmint ! Engineers come up with all kinds of crazy things to keep you on your toes . :big grin:

Since I'm into Musclecars, I went with the 19th or 1971 version in large print. Seems the Op has a copy donated by now! Others can get in on ABom79's drawing for a free copy. Just look him up on YouTube to find how to enter.

Quote:
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I've done the same thing, usually just Left Hand Thread, on electrical equipment. Not so much as a "**** up factor" as to cause someone to pay attention to what they were doing.

Back