Machining A Female Half-moon Shaft?

I have seen them with a small flat spring that presses on the flats.
It might take a bit of trial and error, but should not be too hard to make.
Just plunge mill two slots (more like grooves) on the edge of the hole, bend a piece of steel packing strap into an arc, and fit it into the slots.
I remember pulling the knobs off a stereo amp when I was a teenager and losing a spring :(
The spring also had a bit of a tab bent back on the opening end of the knob to aide getting it over the shaft.

randyc did the post on the rotary broach. http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/a-simple-compact-rotary-broach.33032/

Re: buy vs. build, I had the impression that the OP was asking how it would be made, not stating that he wanted to make one.

I'm busy restomodding a 280ZX (Fairlady Z), the interior will be getting the 80's hi-fi treatment in this vein, with brushed aluminium facia and toggle switches:

PioneerSA-8800_1.JPG

Suffice to say that none of the stuff I've seen online delivers the same look and I'll rot before I butcher a vintage amplifier to repurpose the knobs.

PioneerSA-8800_1.JPG

PioneerSA-8800_1.JPG

PioneerSA-8800_1.JPG

PioneerSA-8800_1.JPG

PioneerSA-8800_1.JPG

Restoring a vintage amplifier does present its problems. I would expect that Pioneer had their knobs and switches custom made. I have a Scott receiver of similar vintage with machined aluminum knobs. The knobs have plastic inserts which are pressed into the aluminum shell. Perhaps you could use a similar process by purchasing off-the-shelf knobs and turning them down to fit a milled pocket in your machined shells.

Sleeve it, did one last week for my Power Feed Lever converting it to a knob. Find another old knob with the same half-moon, slip-fit style mount. Machine it down to about 3/8" (for a 1/4" shaft). Drill out the hole in your good (new) knob to accept it with a slight press fit and a drop of red locktite. No set screw needed, looks original. True restoration. There should be almost zero torque on a stereo knob.

A +1 on the insert idea. And would also entertain the rotary broach method, but have concerns on not enough clearance and or too much metal removal…Dave

Some truly excellent ideas bubbling up in this thread. Thank you, gentlemen!

Now why would we buy a $3.00 knob when we can make one for $30.00 and several hours of labor.:rolleyes:
For the same reason that I bought a $1500 mill so I can make a carriage stop for my $1800 lathe that I bought so I could make one of these.

gareths_captive_nut-300x189.jpg

It’s science.

Tom

How many do you need? I have quite a few I can look through.

Back