Machining milling table

liteace

Registered
Registered
Got here my small diy milling project, its no where near completion, it has aluminum x y table, I noticed someone at some stage has overtightened clamps and the table is a little uneven, whats the best tool / cutter to resurface the table?

Thanks

Pictures?
I think the usual advice is not to try to resurface your milling table. But I'm not sure. If you just want to skim cut a large surface though, many seem to like fly cutters.

Do you have a milling machine, one big enough, do to the table?

If not I would scrape it by hand. A small 12x18 surface plate is pretty inexpensive.

Have you measured to see how far out it is?

I'd recommend waiting until you get the spindle for it and actually start using it before you try to improve the accuracy, the issues you are seeing may not matter if the rigidity isn't high enough.

John

Thanks for all the info, I asked at the machine shop, he could surface it, he said its better doing when its on its own base then you'll get it 100%,, another question. what fly cutter would you recommend for this job

Thanks for all the info, I asked at the machine shop, he could surface it, he said its better doing when its on its own base then you'll get it 100%,, another question. what fly cutter would you recommend for this job
It my opinion that he is wrong for the most part. Most mills that are not bed mill can not even reach their whole bed to mill it completely. Also every knee mill I have been around have at least several thousands tilt in x axis extreme to the other resulting in a convex table. If he had a bed/gantry mill, then using the machine is standard practice.

Further more from other pictures you are using a large drill motor. I don't think this is an appreciably good ideas as the spindle/bearings are not designed for side loads and end mill will pull from the chuck. However using a large diameter fly is extremely unsafe being powered by a drill motor. Please for the sake of those that care for you do not attempt use flycutters or any large diameter milling cutter on your drill powered machine.

Back