Machining milling table

Here's a picture of the table, I scraped it with straight edge, you can see the high points, the middle 3, 4, 5 where I think a vice has been bolted is the worst

I know you professional guys are prob thinking WTF!!, Its just a little project for me and I like things right

20220208_131148.jpg

Last edited:
Firstly I just wanted to say I didn't think it was a stupid question. If you want to read stupid questions, scroll through the stuff I've asked through the years. Ha!
So what is your end goal? You want to mill steel? Or are you planning to make plastic knife handles, or circuit boards? What is the necessary accuracy of the machine? I'm curious about your project.
Also, I say file it flat. Keep the file cleaned out as you go.

It'll be mainly for plastic and on the odd occasion aluminum, i'll probably build it then think, this is good and buy a proper bench mill or it'll be really crap and have to buy a proper bench mill, I know its not anywhere near heavy duty and it looks lightweight and flimsy in the photo's but its quite a large solid lump

Last edited:
It'll be mainly for plastic and on the odd occasion aluminum, i'll probably build it then think, this is good and buy a proper bench mill or it'll be really crap and have to buy a proper bench mill, I know its not anywhere near heavy duty and it look lightweight and flimsy in the photo's but its quite a large solid lump
Exactly why I suggested you wait until you get a spindle going. I have a mill/drill project and can give you my opinion on what you're attempting here but I'll just recommend not putting too much money into this.

Ask me how I know....

John

Thought I'd have less than $500 into mine....

Your mill's usability totally depends on what you want to do with it, and how much time you are willing to spend on your workholding setup for each job. Even if the table is warped, you can shim the base of your vise to (eventually) get it flat, right? More-difficult to machine stuff like steel could be problematic due to the milling forces pushing the mill around but aluminum and plastic, probably doable, especially with light cuts.

The main thing is to get your machine to the point where you can work safely. If you can't, don't use it. Don't use a drill chuck to hold end mills, they are not designed to take the lateral forces. Don't climb mill on a machine with so-so backlash. Lock all axes that are not required to move. Don't forget to wear eye protection. This is NOT an inclusive list of what NOT to do on your mill :grin:

wrong thread

Last edited:
Back