Machinist Needed

silvercbx

Registered
Registered
Hi, I joined this forum to find a machinist in San Diego (CA) county who can help me with some very minor machining. I'm not a machinist myself but could find my way around a lathe if I had one. I have a very small project that requires turning down a couple of 1/2" black pipes (<8") so they will smoothly fit inside a 3/4" black pipe. That's all I need at this time but would like to establish a working relationship for some future projects I have in mind. Of course, all properly reimbursed for time and material (in this case, I'm providing the materials). My phone #-858-273-2742; if I'm out, leave a message on the machine. Would prefer someone right in San Diego (Clairmont) but will go anywhere in the county.
Many thanks.

Last edited:
I'm about as far as I can get from you but I could pick up the pipe & turn it down for you then ship it. I would need to know a bit more about your plans. Since it is black pipe I assume the tolerance isn't that tight. I'd suggest removing your phone number & relying on PM for that kind of info.

I'm in Escondido and will call you shortly.
Greg

Doesn't black pipe have a welded seam... If you want a smooth fit you will need to use 3/4" DOM tubing. or you will need to drill or bore the 3/4" pipe

The weld seam in the 3/4 could be a prob for a sliding fit

Well, that shows you what I don't know. Didn't look down the bore of the 3/4" pipe but now that I have, that, indeed, does change my need from exterior turning down to interior boring to make a smooth fit; maybe a little of both. Hmmm, isn't interesting how 'little' projects get larger (sort of like plumbing)? Doesn't change the goal of the project, just puts a 'bump' in the road.

I live about 25 miles from silvercbx, and he's coming up this afternoon to get it down. When I talked with him this morning, I mentioned the issue of the weld seam and asked, among other details, what precision of fit was needed.He first thought that just turning down the 1/2's OD enough to compensate would suffice, but after looking at the pipes, he agrees with my suggestion that the 3/4's ID could/should be bored into circularity.
Greg

Go here
https://www.speedymetals.com/s-203-round-pipe.aspx
and follow the link for information about telescoping of tubing.

This is a good company and I buy most of my stock from them.
Josh, since you seem to have experience with speedy metals.com, I have a question for you (or of course anyone who knows). I recently went there to order a 5" dia. X 1 and 9/16" thick disk of grey cast iron, to make a chuck back plate. I was thrilled when I saw the price was only about 12 bucks ! Then I went to check out and saw that shipping would be 21 bucks. I left it in my cart for now to decide what to do. Does this sound Right? Please advise, Thanks, JR49 PS: please be kind, I've never bought metal on line before.

Josh, since you seem to have experience with speedy metals.com, I have a question for you (or of course anyone who knows). I recently went there to order a 5" dia. X 1 and 9/16" thick disk of grey cast iron, to make a chuck back plate. I was thrilled when I saw the price was only about 12 bucks ! Then I went to check out and saw that shipping would be 21 bucks. I left it in my cart for now to decide what to do. Does this sound Right? Please advise, Thanks, JR49 PS: please be kind, I've never bought metal on line before.
That does seem high since that piece should just fit a small flat rate box for 5.95 + a small handling charge.

Back