Machinist Needed

I agree, shipping cost sounds high.

I usually try to find a drop on Ebay when I'm looking for short pieces like that.

I just started checkout on my cart at speedymetals and they want $46.00 for my order, which also seems really high to me. I don't recall paying such high shipping in the past with them, might have to switch to a different dealer...
Just created the same order at OnlineMetals to compare.

SpeedyMetals:
Sub Tot: $132.62
Shipping: $46.46
Sales Tax: $0.00
Total: $179.09

OnlineMetals:
Sub Tot: $209.77
Shipping: $33.08
Sales Tax: $18.21
Tot: $261.06

The biggest variance in price was this;
SpeedyMetals 1.5" x 36" 1144 Stressproof: $44.61
OnlineMetals 1.5" x 36" 1144 Stressproof: (or equivalent): $96.56
I'm not making spaceships, I will take the generic 1144 for less than half cost...
Neither company offered USPS for delivery at checkout.

YMMV

As far as the pipe goes I think Dom is seamless , that weld seam can be a trick to get rid of.

DOM refers to Drawn On or Over a Mandrel, yes it is seamless.

"Billy G"

Last edited by a moderator:
The weld is hard to cut smooth. That is why I sad it must be lose on tolerance. I do them all the time. After I get it somewhat close I usually spend a bunch of time honing it.

I figured this has to be a cheap job since it calls for black pipe.

Well, I'm back home after spending the afternoon 30 miles North in Escondido (CA) at Greg's. He has a medium size lathe and we decided to first tackle the two 1" nipples to remove the internal weld seam. The hardest part was centering the nipple in the chuck as both ends are tapered pipe threads. I had bought a 3/4" pipe coupler and we used that to hold the nipple, thinking that it would better center the 1/2" nipple. Well, it didn't, at least not that much but the coupler did hold the nipple more securely. As sort of expected, we found the coupler was not concentric so we spent much time adjusting the 4-jaw chuck to get the nipple centered. Finally there, we trimmed the internal diameter of the 3/4" nipple to remove the weld seam. And then, when it was done, we found that the 1/2" pipe would slide easily through the 3/4" nipple!!!! How 'bout that for luck? If I find any little snags when I put this all together, they will easily be dealt with by a fine file. So now I can move on in my pursuit of other parts of the project; this part was a keystone to the whole project.
Many thanks to Greg for his time and expertise; we had a great time (turns out we both have past histories in computers and other areas) - and I have a contact for any future projects I come up with.

Back