Machinist's hammer

I made my hammer with one end Delrin and the other is Aluminum covered with a copper cap from the plumbing department at the local hardware store.

Nice job!! What was the thinking behind the aluminium inner?

I, also prefer lead hammers, but soft lead is too soft and will not hold up to use very well, I was told many years ago that wheel weight (antimonial) lead is the ideal temper for lead hammers, as pure mushes over too much, and that wheel weights are the best, because it resists deformation, but is not so hard that it spalls off. I have molds for two sizes of hammers, a small one that uses 1/2" conduit and a larger one that uses 1/2 black pipe for handles, When the hammer faces are damaged so as to not be safe to use, they may be remelted and recast, but the antimony oxidizes and the lead loses hardness with each melting, this can be made up by buying a high antimony alloy bar and adding enough to get the hardness back up to an acceptable level, I also use the alloy, which is 30% antimony, 70% lead to harden wheel weight metal for casting lead bullets to Lyman 2 alloy hardness,
Im in the process of making a wheel weight alloy hammer .
Soup can style with scrap handle. Will make a smaller on for use around the lathe.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    216.7 KB · Views: 10
How would copper work for a head?
I have a slug about 2" in dia and 6" long that was used for a heat sink when welding sheet metal.

Anyone know what the counter weights for old single/double hung windows would be??

Most of the time very hard and brittle cast iron. I've tried doing things with them and just cutting with a cutoff wheel was a challenge. In top quality windows from the 1890's they could be lead, but this is very rare.

Most of the time very hard and brittle cast iron. I've tried doing things with them and just cutting with a cutoff wheel was a challenge. In top quality windows from the 1890's they could be lead, but this is very rare.
I guess I should have mentioned I have some that are lead, not sure of the percentage.

I appreciate your input.

Im in the process of making a wheel weight alloy hammer .
Soup can style with scrap handle. Will make a smaller on for use around the lathe.
that's going to be a big one. :surrender: lifting.
I have 2 lead, one small one medium. That would be LARGEss , overweight.

Back