Machinist's hammer

you'll be glad you knurled it. I bought mine and it was too slick using it, so I added leather wrap to give me grip. I like wood when you have oily hands, the oil soaks into the handle, rather than slicking it up.
just ran down and took pics.. I guess I didn't need to.
20230212_171827.jpg

you'll be glad you knurled it. I bought mine and it was too slick using it, so I added leather wrap to give me grip. I like wood when you have oily hands, the oil soaks into the handle, rather than slicking it up.
just ran down and took pics.. I guess I didn't need to.
View attachment 437429
What did you use to glue the leather on with. I might do that.
Its a beast , I am going to make a smaller one also. I have some alloy that was supposedly contaminated with zinc. Theres something wrong with it for sure. It never really gets nice and “liquid” its a bit “slushy” but casted fine. Good opportunity to get rid of this alloy.

What did you use to glue the leather on with. I might do that.
Its a beast , I am going to make a smaller one also. I have some alloy that was supposedly contaminated with zinc. Theres something wrong with it for sure. It never really gets nice and “liquid” its a bit “slushy” but casted fine. Good opportunity to get rid of this alloy.
I don't remember what I glued it with. Could have been contact cement, or 3m77.. just not real sure. It has lasted, but I prefer my vaughn for most tapping settups. I used the lead mostly on machine rebuilding to knock it apart or back together. The big one is deformed, the little one I don't abuse, it just does little nudging.

I don't remember what I glued it with. Could have been contact cement, or 3m77.. just not real sure. It has lasted, but I prefer my vaughn for most tapping settups. I used the lead mostly on machine rebuilding to knock it apart or back together. The big one is deformed, the little one I don't abuse, it just does little nudging.
The big one is for abusive work, heavy and short for limited swing space. I will make a 2-3lb one aoon.

Anyone know what the counter weights for old single/double hung windows would be??

Most that I have seen were C.I. of some sort. There is some pretty useless C.I. out there, e.g. weight lifting weights, some are not bad stuff, most (that I have tried) defied machining of any kind.

I wrecked sever HSS tool bits and amy indexable carbide tool bit trying to machine a weightlifting weight. (over 30 years ago) Lots of super hard carbide inclusions in the ones I tried.

There is no one "right" hammer. I probably have more than a dozen....

Here's the smallest I own, made it myself.

1676270258691.png

John

Back