MachTach Kit information

Good Thread, My thanks to all the folks with experience with the MachTach kits.

Just ordered 2 of the compact (wide spaced boards) kits with green numbers... one for the lathe and one for the mill.

Now to dust off my HeathKit building skills from many a decade ago.

This is a great kit, I built one for my lathe and another for the drill press. The SFM switch over is a nice handy feature for turning or drilling.

Ahh-you threw me by putting it in the "shooting" section.......

Sorry about that! It's fixed...article is now in "Garage Entertainment" where it belongs....

Resurrecting a very old thread… are these kits still available? Google came up empty

I haven't looked into it but I found this a while back.

MachTach no longer sells kits. If you need/want SFM then there is the Tachulator which can be used with a hall sensor. I have used both, I rarely use the SFM, only for large diameter work. You need to manually put in the diameter to get the SFM, otherwise on most of my system/machine builds with a tachometer, I just use a simple RPM display. The one below is what I recommend, as some of the other inexpensive ones I have used almost always seem to not function properly. I put them in a Hammond diecast box with an adjustable L bracket on the back.

Hammand diecast enclosure for RPM display and speed potentiometer.
20211122_143556.jpg

@AlfromNH
The Machtach is available (sort of) if you click the below link you will find out more.

Machtach

Since I'm in New Zealand it isn't as easy to purchase items from the US so I contacted Henry and made an arrangement with him.
I'm not sure if he would do it for anybody else but if you pm me I can let you know how Henry and I arranged things so I ended up with some MachTach kits.

BTW I have 10 kits, it wouldn't be cheap to send them back to the USA with postal rates the way they are at present.

Thanks @kiwi_007 i just got a 3d printer so I’ll take a look at his docs.

Hi guys I am late to this topic but still thought others might be interested. I put a tach on my lathe when I did the VFD conversion. It is a simple integrated counter in a small package that is very cheap ~$14 at Aliexpress. I could not find something similar being sold in the states. It works great and also has 6 digits of RPM! (way over kill) So when I built my Hall sensor on the back of the spindle I put in 10 magnets. So the first digit is 1/10 RPM. I wanted the small package to fit in the panel I was building for the lathe and I could not find anything with as small a foot print as this one. Later I put in another similar package that just counts transitions so that I can now also just monitor how many turns the spindle has made. I wanted this to count the turns as I sometimes use my lathe to wind magnet wires. I described the tach in my VFD write up (See Part II on the right hand side of the attachments.) and then latter in the thread I added the counter/description. There are pictures a the link. The write up has the details of the tach and the parts. These have worked well and the two seem to have the same circuit board with slightly different wiring.

VFD conversion using solid state electronic components.

I just went to the Digiten Store where I purchased theses. The counter was available, but I did not quickly find the tach. However, there are lots of 4 digit tach's at Aliexpress for less than $10 and some of them come with the Hall effect sensor and mount.

Link to the Counter Device on Aliexpress

Dave L.

There is a possible small business for someone here. Mach Tech is a very nice product. It comes as a kit with a pc board and components that need to be soldered together. Key components are the pc board and the controller chip. If the person who made it would share the source for those then someone else could bring back the awesome tool.

Back