Made a Angle Setting Gage

I've got a 4" vise with mounting holes at 2.5". Not sure how I would do this.

I've got a 4" vise with mounting holes at 2.5". Not sure how I would do this.

One way to do it would be to shrink the 1.2" and 1.5" radius' to fit your vise jaw. You could also ream for 3/16" pins instead of 1/4".

I realized the vise jaw drawing does not show the locations of the 1/8" stop pin holes. Here are the coordinates in relation to the pivot pin hole.

X-0.1250 Y0.4000
X-0.3712 Y0.1945
X-0.4000 Y-0.1250

How do the stop pins work exactly? And what does the .204" hole do. This looks like a fun project to do. Although i may have to redesign it a bit for a smaller vice at some point. Looks like a great job though. Has me thinking on how i will get those angles since i would only have a manual machine. Maybe use my cad program and do it the old way of a starting length and an ending length and hand grind the angle?

How do the stop pins work exactly? And what does the .204" hole do. This looks like a fun project to do. Although i may have to redesign it a bit for a smaller vice at some point. Looks like a great job though. Has me thinking on how i will get those angles since i would only have a manual machine. Maybe use my cad program and do it the old way of a starting length and an ending length and hand grind the angle?

The stop pins are a positive stop for your material to butt up against, e.g. you have 10 pieces that require a square end and the other end to have a 45 deg. angle and they all must be the same length. Easy enough to do by laying your material on the two appropriately placed 1/4" dowel pins and sliding it up against one of the stop pins, then machine to length. Rinse and repeat for the remaining 9 pieces.

The .204" hole is for a #10 screw to hold the material to a fixture to machine the angle blades.

You can draw the hole locations in a CAD program to get the X and Y coordinates. Once you have that info you should be able to drill and ream the holes on a manual mill.

I can post a picture or two of the stop pin and .204" hole function tomorrow if that is helpful.

Reactions: Z2V
I believe ik what your talking about now the #10 screw pic would be a little helpfull though. Deff making one when i can. I just bought an adjustable vblock for stuff like this but now i may return it. Who knows lol

Here's a couple of pictures that show the stop pins and the .204" hole in use.

This picture shows the 4 deg. angle blade in use with the total angle set at 44 deg. Notice the stop pin.
IMG_0161[1].JPG

This is the holding fixture I used to machine the angle blades. The .204" hole is for the #10 socket head cap screw.
IMG_0163[1].JPG

Ok so its to hold it down when you were making it pretty much. Looks like a fun project, can’t wait to make it. Was there a certain grade of steel you used?

Ok so its to hold it down when you were making it pretty much. Looks like a fun project, can’t wait to make it. Was there a certain grade of steel you used?

Nothing special; 1018 cold rolled steel. I used cold rolled so I didn't have to machine the top and bottom, just the sides.

Back