Made a turn table puck

twooldvolvos

Registered
Registered
Today I used an old pipe cap to make a record puck for my turntable. In the pics you can see the cap as it was when I started. Then you can see the finished product top and bottom. Finally you can see the puck on my turntable. For anyone who may be interested, the album is Asia by Steely Dan. I learned quite a few things in this exercise as I am a newbie and made a few mistakes. I learned to try to do all your operations without removing the work from the chuck so you don't have get the thing installed square again. I also learned the importance of sharp tools and about the excessive force it takes to use dull ones. I found the auto feed on the cross slide comes in handy when trying to get a decent finish. Also I learned to adjust the gibs on my cross slide. Speeds and feeds are still a mystery along with sharpening cutting tools.

Attachments

• puck1.JPG
    puck1.JPG
    124.4 KB · Views: 31
  • puck2.JPG
    puck2.JPG
    132 KB · Views: 28
  • puck3.JPG
    puck3.JPG
    118.5 KB · Views: 25
  • puck4.JPG
    puck4.JPG
    118.8 KB · Views: 29
  • puck5.JPG
    puck5.JPG
    71.3 KB · Views: 29
Nice! I bought one (before I was into machining) for a rim drive table I built, but it seemed to make the sound worse.

IMG_0953.JPG

Here's the 'table based on a Lenco 75...
IMG_0960.JPG

Maybe we should start an audiophile thread on here!

Very nice Achipo.

Is that Sapele?
Thanks. I couldn't remember so I looked it up. It is Curly Etimoe Veneer I got from VeneerSupplies.com. I'd never heard of it, but I liked the look of it in the picture and am happy with how it turned out. I'd never done veneer before, so it was fun to learn. The website has everything needed to get started and the owner is really helpful. I finished it with hand rubbed shellac.

That turn table pick is super nice looking. I don’t have any records but it’s so pretty I want to make one for someone who could use it. Very nice job

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What does a turn table puck do?
I am assuming they reduce some sort of vibration or harmonics?

I bought a used Thorens TD 124 w/Ortofon tonearm in 1975 for about $100. In preparation for a cross-country move I Ebayed it about twenty years ago to someone in Thailand for $600 plus shipping. Looking at the prices on Ebay today, I'm stupefied.

I've an old Elac Miracord 50H with wooden plinth and lid ($2 thrift store find) and an AR XA which needs a new belt and general tlc. I have a couple of fairly decent sounding systems, all vintage solid state, Fisher model 2010 and Scott ?? tuners and multiple assorted JBL, AR and Polk Audio speakers.

Still look through the records at the thrift stores and play DJ for a few hours every couple months. Do I need a puck? I'm thinking the added weight on the Elac's platter would strain that lowly little German motor and rumble like crazy, perhaps not. Maybe the AR would handle a puck better?

Back