Made a turn table puck

What does a turn table puck do?
I am assuming they reduce some sort of vibration or harmonics?
Its use is said to promote “improved bass response, tighter mids and controlled highs,” and at a weight of just over 400 grams, is “light enough to not cause damage to a turntable's bearing system, but heavy enough to give sonic improvement.”

I bought a used Thorens TD 124 w/Ortofon tonearm in 1975 for about $100. In preparation for a cross-country move I Ebayed it about twenty years ago to someone in Thailand for $600 plus shipping. Looking at the prices on Ebay today, I'm stupefied.

I've an old Elac Miracord 50H with wooden plinth and lid ($2 thrift store find) and an AR XA which needs a new belt and general tlc. I have a couple of fairly decent sounding systems, all vintage solid state, Fisher model 2010 and Scott ?? tuners and multiple assorted JBL, AR and Polk Audio speakers.

Still look through the records at the thrift stores and play DJ for a few hours every couple months. Do I need a puck? I'm thinking the added weight on the Elac's platter would strain that lowly little German motor and rumble like crazy, perhaps not. Maybe the AR would handle a puck better?
You don't need a puck. Reviews on pucks are mixed, some saying there is a slight improvement but many saying they could hear no difference.

I have 3 turntables, the Technics SL 1200 mk3, a Dual 701 and a Pioneer PL-12, I did not really notice anything special, with or without the puck.

Same as skin effect on monster speaker cable...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I once read an advertisement for a audiophile modular power cable. You know where one in plugs into a wall outlet and the other end plugs into your equipment. They wanted me to spend hundreds of dollars on their special cable because it made the sound output better. They talked on a on about the quality of the conductors and the insulation etc. Not a convincing enough argument for me :)

I once read an advertisement for a audiophile modular power cable. You know where one in plugs into a wall outlet and the other end plugs into your equipment. They wanted me to spend hundreds of dollars on their special cable because it made the sound output better. They talked on a on about the quality of the conductors and the insulation etc. Not a convincing enough argument for me :)
I took a streaming test of 3 files with different quality. I failed the test. It just goes to show that if you can't hear the difference in quality, its time to stop buying more expensive equipment.

Dudes, even CDs went the way of the Dodo. We are all Flac now days in the modern age! Next thing you'll be wanting to bring back vacuum tube! ;-)

^^ Is there any correlation here between ignition wires and a car's radio?

Ignition systems of older automobiles could cause noise in audio equipment. That’s why they did away with solid copper wire and went with that stuff that looks like graphite impregnated string. Aramid core....etc. lots of different names but I forgot more than I remember about the details of the noise from ignition systems of cars. Bottom line is that you’d have your car radio tuned into a station and every time you’d accelerate.... you would here the revolutions of the car rpms through your car speakers. You seldom see that these days. But it was more common on the older muscle cars. One way to fix it was installing a transformer inline on the power feed + of the car radio. It was pretty common back in the day.

Dudes, even CDs went the way of the Dodo. We are all Flac now days in the modern age! Next thing you'll be wanting to bring back vacuum tube! ;-)

I agree, but some people insist tubes sound better. I think think they look cool, but I'm fine only using them in my ham radio amp.

Back