Made in USA AXA Tool Post

BoskoTX

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
New to machining here. I have been reading forums here, YouTube, and internet searching for data on getting started. I think I want a AXA tool post and tool holders for my Jet 1024P. I prefer to buy Made In USA when I can (within reason). Other than expensive Aloris, what brands are US built?

DORIAN​

Big money, like Aloris.

KD made some nice tool holders. I can't find much info on them currently, though, so they may be gone now. Not sure...

Yeah, if you want made in the USA it’s either Aloris or Dorian. New, they are expensive. However, you can find deals on used ones. Check Craigslist, FB Marketplace, eBay, they even come up for sale here from time to time.

The Dorian AXA starter kit (tool post with around five tool holders) is the least expensive made in the USA and they're still over $1K. An import with the same basic setup is under $200. All of the imports...Phase II, Bostar, Shars, etc are made in China and similar quality, but differing price points. Phase II seems to be the most expensive of the imports, but I didn't notice any quality difference compared to the other imports. I have Aloris on two lathes now, but I've put Bostar on several lathes recently and see zero difference in repeatability/accuracy.

The Dorian AXA starter kit (tool post with around five tool holders) is the least expensive made in the USA and they're still over $1K. An import with the same basic setup is under $200. All of the imports...Phase II, Bostar, Shars, etc are made in China and similar quality, but differing price points. Phase II seems to be the most expensive of the imports, but I didn't notice any quality difference compared to the other imports. I have Aloris on two lathes now, but I've put Bostar on several lathes recently and see zero difference in repeatability/accuracy.

The prices sound about right. You're not going to find much in the way of competitive pricing between US made tooling and Chinese made tooling. The average hourly wage for a factory worker in China is a little over $6.00 an hour. In the US it's a little under $28.00 an hour, or nearly 4 1/2 times what the Chinese make. With all the new minimum wage laws I would expect the differential to increase. When nonskilled labor is demanding $20.00 an hour the wage demands of skilled labor will increase proportionally.

The prices reflect the wage rates in each country.

New to machining here. I have been reading forums here, YouTube, and internet searching for data on getting started. I think I want a AXA tool post and tool holders for my Jet 1024P. I prefer to buy Made In USA when I can (within reason). Other than expensive Aloris, what brands are US built?
Aloris was never cheap.
I just put one on a mini lathe

Dave
20231226_152724.jpg20231213_142720.jpg

Welcome to the forum. If money is tight you can make a Norman style QCTP and all the toolholders you will ever need for a fraction of the cost of even the Chinese QCTP. Easy to make and a good learning experience. Lots of forum members have made them. All you need is a lathe and a drill.

DORIAN​

Big money, like Aloris.

KD made some nice tool holders. I can't find much info on them currently, though, so they may be gone now. Not sure...
KDK is (unfortunately) no longer in business.

GsT

However, you can find deals on used ones.
If you're patient, you can also find very good deals at eBay for 'New-Open Box'. I've bought several machining items - including tool holders - that way. Without exception (I've been lucky), every item has been in absolute mint condition, many in original packaging, for approximately half the retail cost of the same product new. If you're not in a hurry, it's worth keeping you eyes open.

Regards

I couldn't justify the cost of US made in order for me to get tooled up to a decent working level. Most of my tool holders are Shars, that I buy when they put them on sale. The only thing I've found poor, on some imports, are the set screws. Easy to buy some dog tip ones and fix that.

Back