Made in USA AXA Tool Post

I couldn't justify the cost of US made in order for me to get tooled up to a decent working level. Most of my tool holders are Shars, that I buy when they put them on sale. The only thing I've found poor, on some imports, are the set screws. Easy to buy some dog tip ones and fix that.
I bought a Dorian tool post, but my tool holders are a hodge-podge of whatever was on sale or convenient. I haven't run into any that were unacceptable, though I did invest in some proper grub screws for them since some come with complete garbage. (Much like the garbage that passes for fasteners at the big box stores.)

GsT

I've had no issues with the set screws on the import tool holders, and honestly the ones I've found on used Dorian and Aloris were often destroyed. Someone else mentioned it, and I think they were on to something...most of the imported tool holders use metric set screws and they'll easily round if the wrong wrench is used.

New to machining here. I have been reading forums here, YouTube, and internet searching for data on getting started. I think I want a AXA tool post and tool holders for my Jet 1024P. I prefer to buy Made In USA when I can (within reason). Other than expensive Aloris, what brands are US built?
If you make your own it'll be "Made in USA", as noted above the Norman style can be made quite easily. However, I'm pretty sure the Jet you're putting on wasn't made in the USA so there's that.

Or, you can do like so many of us have and purchase the import ones since they're cheap, available, and seem to work fine.

Then whatever you make will definitely be made in the USA with tools and possibly materials sourced from international vendors.

;)

John

As mentioned there are a number of Aloris AXA tool posts and tool holders available on CL, FBMP, eBay, and other online sites.

I doubt you’re going to find them for the same price as Shars or other import vendors. You’re asking for Mercedes quality at Kia prices

As mentioned there are a number of Aloris AXA tool posts and tool holders available on CL, FBMP, eBay, and other online sites.

I doubt you’re going to find them for the same price as Shars or other import vendors. You’re asking for Mercedes quality at Kia prices
Yep, and they’ll both get you to the grocery store in about the same time.

I've had no issues with the set screws on the import tool holders, and honestly the ones I've found on used Dorian and Aloris were often destroyed. Someone else mentioned it, and I think they were on to something...most of the imported tool holders use metric set screws and they'll easily round if the wrong wrench is used.
I've had mixed results. Definitely a quality issue and not size related - I replaced them with the same sizes. Many were poorly fitting - both to the wrench and the threads and some were clearly inferior material. A sloppy fit to the wrench and soft metal are not a good combination. I'd name names, but I have holders from so many different sources that I can no longer recall with certainty who the major offenders were.

GsT

Is there really that much of a difference in quality with the imports vs Aloris?

Consensus seems to be the import tool posts and tool holders work fine for hobby level work, not sure if the pro's notice a difference but mine works just fine.

John

Welcome to the forum. If money is tight you can make a Norman style QCTP and all the toolholders you will ever need for a fraction of the cost of even the Chinese QCTP. Easy to make and a good learning experience. Lots of forum members have made them. All you need is a lathe and a drill.

Nice, thanks! Even if I purchase a wedge style QCTP I may build a norman style just to learn.

Is there really that much of a difference in quality with the imports vs Aloris?
I've owned Bostar, Phase II, Shars, Dorian and Aloris QCTPs and holders. I've also had a couple of no-name tool holders from an unknown vendor or vendors. Aloris is clearly the best from a fit/finish standpoint with Dorian not too far behind, but in hand you can see/feel the subtle differences. All of the imports are very similar in fit/finish, with Phase II being the nicest, but only by a small amount. They definitely aren't as nicely finished and you can clearly tell the difference in hand when compared to Aloris or Dorian. It's like an older gun with nice bluing compared to modern guns that usually have some sort of matte black finish....functional, but not the same. Some folks have claimed problems with the import set screws...I haven't seen that, but it wouldn't surprise me if some of the imports use the cheapest set screws possible, so I don't doubt it's happened.

From a function/quality/accuracy standpoint I don't see any difference. I have Aloris on two lathes right now, and just sold a third lathe that had a Bostar QCTP on it, with their holders. I can take a tool/holder on/off repeatedly and check the center height with no change on any of them. I stopped measuring and checking by facing parts after it became obvious they were repeating more than close enough for my purposes. If I'm doing something critical I'll confirm the tool height, but so far it has only been for peace of mind and I haven't caught a problem where something had moved. Honestly, I'd be more inclined to think that the lock nut wasn't secured properly if I found the center height off one of my tools.

Back