Made my first part for a customer!

65arboc

Active User
Registered
Co worker has a Ruger SR 22 P that wouldn't cycle consistently. He thought it might be the Plastic pin inside the follower spring was hanging up so I made a new one out of aluminium. It was a easy 20 minute job on my MicroMark and a good learning project for duplicating the part. He's going to try it out tonight and let me know if it solved the problem.

Jim in Pa

P7220001.JPG P7220002.JPG

Cool. If it works for him and solves this ongoing issue he's been having WORD WILL GET OUT!

You could end up being a busy, busy guy.

Awesome. That is how it all starts.

I started out by just working on my own race car and motorcycles. Then one by one fellow racers and friends of fellow racers started asking me to do odds and ends for them. Now I have been in business for 17 years as a side/part-time business trying to go full-time and get out of the corporate world.

Let us know how it turns out.

Mike.

Made two similar pins for a friends 40 & 9mm. A nice project to start on and satisfying when he told me "They never worked better!"

The only problem with aluminum is the spring going back and forth might start to guald. Stainless would be an excellent metal for that.

Congratulation and hope your business continues to grow.

Nelson Collar

Stainless, or have the aluminum hard-coat anodized.

The only problem with aluminum is the spring going back and forth might start to guald. Stainless would be an excellent metal for that.

Congratulation and hope your business continues to grow.

Nelson Collar

As I mentioned, SS would probably perform fine as a spring guide, but some folks may have a hard time working with stainless due to lack of machine rigidity(read MicroMark Lathe), proper tooling for SS, and it's tendencies to work-harden, etc.
I make a lot of parts from 304ss for a large dairy, and have a bit of experience with it.
The tooling industry I'm in here in the Detroit area uses hard anodizing (with Teflon over it, but cost is higher) for aluminum moving parts because it's not that expensive, and makes a nice hard-wearing surface(over 65 Rockwell) that's better suited his particular application.
This is by no means meant as a negative towards OP's machinery, skills, , etc.

Nice looking parts, Jim

Last edited by a moderator:
Back