Magnetic work holding

Albroswift

Registered
Registered
Have some small projects that don't lend themselves well to clamping or vise, do magnetic bases hold the work well enough for milling operations?
Looking at Amazon.
Thanks--
Al

In my opinion,yes. As long as there is enough surface to be held by the magnet but the experts must chip in here.

I am sorry but I am going to hijack your thread abit.
:sorry:
I have another question, how can you fix one if you have one that doesn't work as it is supposed to?

A magnetic chuck is mostly used for grinding operations Where side forces arnt to great. Ive used a Mag chuck on a lathe with a sharp tool and minimal of a cut and worked fine. For milling I’d say it’s questionable.

Another thing is that chips would be a problem, they would tend to recirculate in the cut and cause poor finishes.

The fine pole magnetic chucks are for thin parts i.e. close to the surface. You can buy,(very expensive),Toolmakers magnets or make blocks that extend/redirect the flux lines.
Think a magnetic plate next to a non-magnetic plate stacked as a block and then shaped to whatever you want to hold. You can bolt a fence to the sides of most chucks plus there are holes in the surface of some that are plain for pins or occasionally threaded for stops/locators. More information here: http://www.themagnetguide.com/magnetic-chuck.html

We have milled tight fitting pockets into a steel plate with a magnet to hold the part in place. Can work with care.
We do the same with a pan head screw close to the edge to clamp the part down in the pocket.
More commonly, we mill a pocket into sacrificial jaws on the vise. One wants enough clamping force without crushing the part, so the pocket has to be sized just right. If too loose, we mill off a bit off one of the vertical faces to allow the vice to close a bit tighter.
Pierre

I have a pair of VEE block switchable magnets. They are great for quick setup in workpiece holding. Holds part securely in position while you clamp securely.

494b6ff9bf66f8403e7a68093b4101a5.jpg

4ed600eef5aa39e7b03de67b30cb1af7.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back