Magnifying Lens Or Head Visor?

gi_984

Active User
Registered
Okay who else has problems reading some of the smaller scales on dials or micrometers? Thinking about getting a head visor style magnifier that Enco sells. Anybody use one?

I have a couple of visor type magnifiers from Horrible Freight, I find them most useful for soldering on circuit boards and that kind of work where you are doing close work for extended periods of time. I use a loupe for reading mics and calipers and general shop work where a quick look is all that's needed.

Yup, in the same boat. My progressives help a lot but I still reach for a visor on occasion. What I didn't like about the standard ones was that the focal length is often too short unless I'm doing real up-close work, but I was in at a shoe repair place a bit ago and the cobbler was wearing a pair while he was at the stitching machine. I asked about them and he let me try his on. Quite a bit longer working distance. I haven't got a pair yet, but they're called "Mag Eyes" . Amazon has them, and there are a number of different powers to choose from.

I have the magnifier lamps as well, but for me I find the lens is always in the trajectory of my hand so I keep bumping the stupid thing which drives me nuts.

-frank

Some thirty years ago, my eyesight started going and I started using reading glasses. They come in magnifications up to 3.5 and are more comfortable than the head visors. I use the head visor in addition for fine detail work. At the lathes, I have lighted magnifiers as well.

Bob

My eyesight is good, but I still use them. Great for soldering, like Jim said above. I also use them to inspect for cracks in thin metal after heat treat. Very handy item.

I use safety glasses with bifocals about $6.00 for casual use on mics etc. Use the HF visor style for extended use like deburring a lot of small parts. I find if I wear the hood or visor type and I am glancing around they shortly make me queasy.

It’s not the smartest thing that I have done. I use reading type glasses for general work in the shop as in safety glasses and for the short focus stuff. I do however make sure they have plastic lenses and not glass…Dave.

I have a couple(maybe 3) magnifier lamps in the shop. Lately I've been having to use them to read my calipers.
I should find another one to mount at the lathe....

-brino

Prescription large lens bifocals. The frames have optional side shields that make 'em safety glasses.

I'm on my 2nd pair.

Being nearsighted with an astigmatism means prescription glasses are needed most of the time. I don't need glasses to read yet. But for fine work, I had them made.

My problem is that I need close focusing bifocals to read small stuff. But, they are impractical for general bifocal vision. Reading glasses don't work for us near-sighted people. I have a variety of loops and magnifying glasses both with and without lights.

My favorite is this one. It slides open and has a good bright LED that turns on when you open it. When it is closed it protects the lens from dust.

81HIKQQM5gL._SL1500_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/MiniBrite-Sli...=1439572605&sr=8-1&keywords=lighted+magnifier

Good bright light makes up for a lot of blurry vision.

I found some jewler's clip-on loops at HF. They work pretty well for the little stuff.

61TrD6AUEHL._SL1200_.jpg

Back