Magnifying Lens Or Head Visor?

Okay who else has problems reading some of the smaller scales on dials or micrometers? Thinking about getting a head visor style magnifier that Enco sells. Anybody use one?
I wear prescription glasses so I use an Optivisor. Works well, not too intrusive, you can flip it up when you need to and you can get different focal lengths so the distance is variable. They also sell a jewelers loop attachment but I haven't needed that....yet.
41DO3p08VyL._AA160_.jpg416m5SuYIAL._AA160_.jpg

Okay who else has problems reading some of the smaller scales on dials or micrometers? Thinking about getting a head visor style magnifier that Enco sells. Anybody use one?

For reading a mike, these work. Sort of. Optivisors and similar devices all have one problem: short focal length. The more power, the shorter. Essentially unusable "on the machine" because you'll never get close enough. If you must get an optivisor type system, buy the original. The knock-offs have various optical defects that'll drive you nuts, even if the short focal length doesn't (it will).

There are two actual solutions for general shop use (not just reading a mike). Camera/display systems, or Craftoptics or similar eyeglass telescopes (essentially, a gallilean telescope on a prescription lens). The camera/display systems have good, usually adjustable magnification and resolution, require power, aren't very portable, and may get in the way of tooling. A portable example is the DM540 digital microscope.

The Craftoptic systems have limited magnification (2X) BUT have usable working distances (13-18 inches, not 3) and a 4 inch field of view. Available with reading glasses (fixed diopter) or plano options. Popular with gemcutters. They cost 500 bucks or so. If a 2X system is good enough (it may be, that's the base magnification for Optivisor) and you can afford it, get Craftoptic. For general shop use, there's just no comparison vs the visors. There are some higher power systems- at similar/higher prices (Eschenbach is one brand).

Get my new prescription tri-focals in a week or so. Bottom for close up and reading, middle for computer screen or chuck distance, top for across the shed and driving.
Used these years ago and found them excellent. Couldnt get used to graduated and changed to bi-focals when retired.
I do like the visor magnifiers but the short focal length is a pain for most jobs. I also have a x10 loup for ultra close up magnification.

Thanks for the replies and options. I have a few I'll be checking into. I don't wear glasses, but as I approach 50 I can tell it is getting harder for me to focus on some of the fine stuff.

If you don't have to wear prescription glasses, ordinary reading glasses will work well for you.

Prescription large lens bifocals. The frames have optional side shields that make 'em safety glasses.

I'm on my 2nd pair.

Being nearsighted with an astigmatism means prescription glasses are needed most of the time. I don't need glasses to read yet. But for fine work, I had them made.
I had special bifocal glasses made to focus at 30" for use with a computer screen. If you ask your optometrist you may be able to have them make short focus lenses.

You actually can get drugstore reading glasses up to 4X,though it's hard to find them above 3.5. There is one store here that carries them: Williamsburg Pharmacy. Last time I bought any,they were about $18.00.

They are what I use when doing very small work or engraving. Of course,the higher the magnification,the closer you will have to be to the work. Personally,I hate to wear head visors.

Don't buy too cheap a brand. You may find they don't focus correctly as in the lenses don't match.

If one needs prescription

optometrist
being the key word. I have had several special lenses arrangement made for different style of work. Just ask,worth effort and $. Don't be put off by the "thats not how we do it" go someplace else.

other wise shop for quality reading glasses.

In a lot of stuff I purchased at auction I found 2 pair of bifocal saftey glasses like these: http://amzn.com/B004GZBP5Y.
The magnifier bifocal area (mine are +2.5) is a problem if you need to look at your feet but other than that I rarely notice them until I need to look closely at something.
I am using them full time instead of regular safety glasses.

I have a couple visors. One has several magnification lenses and the other has a longer focal point. I used the longer focal point one when I was working on a surface grinder so I didn't have to get too close to the wheel.

Back