Magnifying Lens Or Head Visor?

Let me start by saying, I don't really need glasses. I have 20/20 vision. I can read the newspaper in good lighting without any assistance. BUT!!! In my shop, I have every type of magnifier known to man. The handiest method I have found is a pair of dollar store readers with one of those ropes that keeps them around your neck. I get the rope thing at walmart, in a 2 pack for a few dollars. I use 125's for general work, 200's for finer inspection and 375's under the hood when I'm tig welding. The opti visors are great for electronic work or trigger work on a gun and I have several loupes and hand held magnifying glasses at points in the shop.
One of my best tools is a Nikon stereo microscope, I believe it's 2 power to 100 power with a ring light. Great for all things unknown, ie, why isn't this tool bit cutting properly. Contact John at Vermont optics, He sells used microscopes. A real gentleman, and honest.
I guess what I'm trying to say is each type has it's use and you just have to find out which one works best for you.

Steve t

I might add that using drug store glasses should be confined to those who have eyes that have close to the same value. If your 2 eyes are different,you should get prescription glasses.

My eyes are close to the same,and I do have some prescription glasses. In my case,I can't tell the difference between decent drugstore glasses and the prescription ones.

When I first started working in machine shops at the tinder age of 15 there was a Polish gentleman that wore a mag visor all the time. Now that I am his age I know why.

There's a Chinese company (ZenniOptical.com) that will make you any sort of glasses you desire from your specifications. No optometrist prescription required and downright cheap. Although personally in the shop I can get by with magnifying safety glasses augmented by an OptiVisor when doing really close work, when I needed some oddball glasses for flying (bifocal vari-shade sunglasses so I could see out the windshield and see the flight instruments or read a sectional) Zenni made them to my specs for a very reasonable cost.

Worth a look-see and I have no connection other than as a satisfied customer.

Stu

LOL I have almost everything, reading glasses in two different strengths, a loop, like 3 handheld magnifying lenses, a 30x lighted handheld microscope, plus a stand mounted lighted 6 inch mag lens (for soldering). I had perfect vision until my mid 40's. I went to the eye doc and said what's wrong with my eyes...he said "your getting old". :burned up:

Viewing the issue from another angle...

There are also mechanical and electronic micrometers that have a "digital display". While the electronic ones are new and still quite expensive, the mechanical ones have been on the market for several decades and are quite reliable.

link-to-2013-01-15-0133-crop-nsk-digit-micrometer-sf0.jpg

I've owned an NSK like this one for 25+ years.

Last edited:
I might add that using drug store glasses should be confined to those who have eyes that have close to the same value. If your 2 eyes are different,you should get prescription glasses.

My eyes are close to the same,and I do have some prescription glasses. In my case,I can't tell the difference between decent drugstore glasses and the prescription ones.

I have a difference between my eyes and use prescription glasses for reading. I can use the drugstore magnifiers for a lot of quick jobs just fine, but for longer reading sessions the prescription ones are far easier to see with. I did have a set of bifocal prescription safety glasses made up for use in the shop too as changing back and forth from readers to safety glasses was a nuisance. I don't wear a prescription for normal vision, just reading so the main part of the lens in those is plain with just the reader prescription as the bifocal. I do also use magnifying loupes for closer inspection work, I have a few strengths from 5x to 15x.

You actually can get drugstore reading glasses up to 4X,though it's hard to find them above 3.5.

I use the same 4X for close work that doesn't require higher power, but you have a fairly limited depth of field/short focal length so doesn't work well on the mill or lathe. When milling or using the lathe I use some 2X drug store plastic lens with a headband flip down magnifier for close up inspection work. Since there are chips and fluids flying, I do not use anything expensive in the shop. I made that mistake already and ruined some Ziess lenses. Haven't had much success with the generic shop safety glasses with magnifiers, too much distortion for my eyes.

Long term work at the computer/desk I use 2X prescription Ziess coated lenses in readers with a longer focal length (around 18-24"). There is a significant difference in eye fatigue between these and the drug store equivalent with time.

I have a pair of these for serious close up work (spotting, finish, measuring). Cheap and highly effective with 5 sets of varying lenses. It also has a little LED light for close-ups with low lighting. I had laser surgery done about 10 years ago and I can see 20/20...at distance. But I still have to wear glasses for long hours of computer work and in the shop. There are probably a lot more companies that sell these, it's just the first one that I spotted on Amazon (no affiliation).

http://www.amazon.com/Housweety-Pro...pebp=1440698037418&perid=06QXAB3THRFWPX3WYQ6041M6xJh+C3L__AA160_.jpg

Back