Make double diameter screw for quick change tool holder

a smile

Registered
Registered
2024_05_23_22_06_IMG_9036.JPG

Could you tell us the purpose of the screw before we spend almost 40 minutes watching the video?

If the threads are slightly different in pitch, the assembly could form a differential adjustment. I made such an assembly to adjust my tailstock. I used a 1mm thread and a 0.8mm thread to achieve an effective 0.2mm/turn adjustment, with a coarse adjust 1mm/T to get in the region.

As for the chatter in the threads, perhaps the OP could show his setup? Perhaps then suggestions could be made that could improve the finish?

I do note the poor thread finish, but also note that negative exchanges are not what this forum is about. _Perhaps make some constructive comments on improving thread finish?
Sorry if anyone was offended,

Went to YouTube and spot checked the video. The entire video is from about 4 feet away, no explanation of the function of the screw, no captions, no voice over. Not worth the time IMO.

Folks, if you look at the OP's info you will note that he is in China and does not speak English but does do some top drawer work. Let's cut him some slack and tone down the negativity as that is NOT how we roll here.

Went to YouTube and spot checked the video. The entire video is from about 4 feet away, no explanation of the function of the screw, no captions, no voice over. Not worth the time IMO.
I watched a little. Since the video is from afar, it's hard to tell what the setup really is. There was a lot of squeaking in the video. That might have been the chatter, or maybe just the machinery. When I cut threads, there's no chatter, (except perhaps if I take too much depth of cut,) but I'm usually going slow.

It would be good to know the function of the screw. Some detailed setup pictures from close would be good to have. The OP has previously posted some interesting things, so yes, lets be encouraging to him.

I'd like to add that I have talked a lot with @a smile on another forum, and he works with some older and somewhat worn equipment. I'd love to see his thread finish improve, but it really doesn't affect the functionality of the part.

I have 2 lathe chuck wrenches that I got from him, and they are outstanding.

I personally am not a fan of single point threading, and prefer a die. In this case a die might clean up the chatter a bit...

Yea his chuck wrenches are fantastic!

Back