Make double diameter screw for quick change tool holder

Went to YouTube and spot checked the video. The entire video is from about 4 feet away, no explanation of the function of the screw, no captions, no voice over. Not worth the time IMO.
I guess I should apologize! ,
I don't speak English, so there's no voice to explain. There was another very important reason - I was very wary of high-speed machinery, so I had to concentrate, and I had to calculate the amount of feed, and the fit of the final size. Also, I'm not a professional mechanic, much less a professional lathe operator. Therefore, please forgive an unskilled DIYER who can only concentrate on the operation.
I also want to make a picture-in-picture video to show details in small pictures. Unfortunately, I have no time to learn video clips, so subtitle is an impossible task for me at present.
Once again please forgive me for not explaining the purpose of the screw, I will add other photos here!
2024_05_23_21_12_IMG_9028.JPG
2024_05_24_20_57_IMG_9080.JPG

I watched a little. Since the video is from afar, it's hard to tell what the setup really is. There was a lot of squeaking in the video. That might have been the chatter, or maybe just the machinery. When I cut threads, there's no chatter, (except perhaps if I take too much depth of cut,) but I'm usually going slow.

It would be good to know the function of the screw. Some detailed setup pictures from close would be good to have. The OP has previously posted some interesting things, so yes, lets be encouraging to him.
I don't speak English, so there's no voice to explain. There was another very important reason - I was very wary of high-speed machinery, so I had to concentrate, and I had to calculate the amount of feed, and the fit of the final size. Also, I'm not a professional mechanic, much less a professional lathe operator. Therefore, please forgive an unskilled DIYER who can only concentrate on the operation.
I also want to make a picture-in-picture video to show details in small pictures. Unfortunately, I have no time to learn video clips, so subtitle is an impossible task for me at present.
Once again please forgive me for not explaining the purpose of the screw, I will add other photos here!

Thank you for your encouragement!
I need to record my entire operation process to find my own defects, so the lens is very far away. Sorry for the disappointment of not seeing the details, I will make changes next time.
The sound in the video should be that the hardness of the material I selected is a little high. I used S136-H with a hardness of about HRC38, and then I fed about 0.2-0.3mm each time, so the approximate reason should be: 1. Hardness. 2. Large feed. 3. Bilateral cutting. (I did not micro-feed on the small pallet, so the blade cut both sides at the same time). I will change the parameters and try again in a few days.
2024_05_24_20_54_IMG_9072.JPG
2024_05_24_20_57_IMG_9080.JPG
2024_05_24_20_57_IMG_9082.JPG
2024_05_24_20_56_IMG_9077.JPG

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the the small end screws into his QC tool post and the larger end is what he uses a custom made nut for adjustments.

I don't know, just a guess!
You're a smart guy!
2024_05_24_20_52_IMG_9067.JPG

Although I used to be lazy to let the machinery company produce some M12*1.75 nuts, completely using standardized screws, but later I found that although the shape met my requirements, but the thread production is very poor, far less than the standard I made. Therefore, when I had some time recently, I made several samples to test the applicability of different pitch.
000.jpg

I changed the size and pitch in an effort to make it more beautiful.

Went to YouTube and spot checked the video. The entire video is from about 4 feet away, no explanation of the function of the screw, no captions, no voice over. Not worth the time IMO.
I made one of these a while back as an adapter to mount a laser scanner to a tripod.

The classic 1/4-20 that cameras standardized on is Whitworth, 59 degree thread, not easily found as a set screw.
Well, per my Starrett thread gauge (& center gauge) the recently (and not so recently) 1/4-20 "Camera Mount Screws" and tripod heads I have all seem to be 60° UNC threads, as is the case attaching screw on the most classic camera body I have, a 1970 Nikon Ftn:

20240524 Nikon F.jpeg

While BSW (55°, rounded profile) 1/4-20 (as well as BSW 3/16-24) was specified by the Royal Photographic Society for small cameras, this has been superseded by ISO:

"Per ISO 1222:2010,[1] the current tripod bolt thread standard for attaching the camera calls for a 1/4-20 UNC[2] or 3/8-16 UNC thread.[3] Most consumer cameras are fitted with 1/4-20 UNC threads. Larger, professional cameras and lenses may be fitted with 3/8-16 UNC threads, plus a removable 1/4-20 UNC adapter, allowing them to be mounted on a tripod using either standard.​

Historically, The Royal Photographic Society recommended the thread standard for attaching older cameras to tripods was 3/16-24 BSW (3/16 inch nominal diameter, 24 threads per inch), or 1/4-20 BSW[4] for smaller cameras and 3/8-16 BSW[5] for larger cameras and pan/tilt heads. In this application, the BSW and UNC thread profiles are similar enough that one can mount a modern camera on a legacy tripod and vice versa. The UNC threads are at a 60-degree angle and flattened, whereas the BSW are at a 55-degree angle and rounded crest. However, at least one English manufacturer uses No.1 B.A. (British Association) for its tripod mount thread." Wikipedia®

I didn't double-check the ISO Standard as I didn't want to spend $43 to download a copy from the ANSI Store.

Once again please forgive me for not explaining the purpose of the screw, I will add other photos here!View attachment 491125View attachment 491126
It all makes sense now! I did not intend to be disrespectful; just didn't understand what the screws were for. From seeing other things that you posted I did not realize that you weren't a professional machinist. You're definitely not unskilled. Thanks for the update.

My good tripod, a Gitzo, has a double thread screw on it; 1/4" at the tip and a few threads down it goes to 3/8". The 3/8" socket on larger professional cameras is deep enough that the 1/4" portion doesn't interfere with the 3/8" male threads doing their job.

Well, per my Starrett thread gauge (& center gauge) the recently (and not so recently) 1/4-20 "Camera Mount Screws" and tripod heads I have all seem to be 60° UNC threads, as is the case attaching screw on the most classic camera body I have, a 1970 Nikon Ftn:

View attachment 491164

While BSW (55°, rounded profile) 1/4-20 (as well as BSW 3/16-24) was specified by the Royal Photographic Society for small cameras, this has been superseded by ISO:

"Per ISO 1222:2010,[1] the current tripod bolt thread standard for attaching the camera calls for a 1/4-20 UNC[2] or 3/8-16 UNC thread.[3] Most consumer cameras are fitted with 1/4-20 UNC threads. Larger, professional cameras and lenses may be fitted with 3/8-16 UNC threads, plus a removable 1/4-20 UNC adapter, allowing them to be mounted on a tripod using either standard.​

Historically, The Royal Photographic Society recommended the thread standard for attaching older cameras to tripods was 3/16-24 BSW (3/16 inch nominal diameter, 24 threads per inch), or 1/4-20 BSW[4] for smaller cameras and 3/8-16 BSW[5] for larger cameras and pan/tilt heads. In this application, the BSW and UNC thread profiles are similar enough that one can mount a modern camera on a legacy tripod and vice versa. The UNC threads are at a 60-degree angle and flattened, whereas the BSW are at a 55-degree angle and rounded crest. However, at least one English manufacturer uses No.1 B.A. (British Association) for its tripod mount thread." Wikipedia®

I didn't double-check the ISO Standard as I didn't want to spend $43 to download a copy from the ANSI Store.
The Royal Photographic Society information is interesting. It's something that I haven't seen before. Guessing that American mass producers just ran over the standards with a locomotive and made the threads to what was convenient. I do have a couple of cameras that have the 3/8" to 1/4" bushing. My 1942 model Leica will accept a 1/4-20 tripod screw but no idea if it's correct or just close enough. I bought it, had it cleaned, shot 3 or 4 rolls of film in it and put it in a display cabinet so it hasn't been used since 1983 or so.

The Royal Photographic Society information is interesting. It's something that I haven't seen before. Guessing that American mass producers just ran over the standards with a locomotive and made the threads to what was convenient. I do have a couple of cameras that have the 3/8" to 1/4" bushing. My 1942 model Leica will accept a 1/4-20 tripod screw but no idea if it's correct or just close enough. I bought it, had it cleaned, shot 3 or 4 rolls of film in it and put it in a display cabinet so it hasn't been used since 1983 or so.
Off-Topic Reply:

Last roll through my Nikon Ftn was sometime in the late 80's, when I got my N8008 (F-801 outside of the U.S.), along with a Nikkor 80—200, f2.8 autofocus lens. In the early 90's I added an F4 to the lineup. I took the 8008 to Cameroon in early 1992, and used both the 8008 and F4 as a spectator (but with front row seats on the ice) at the inaugural USFSA Pro-Am Challenge (held in Hershey as a nod to the Arena hosting the first Ice Capades in 1940) later that year (ran through 4, 135 exposure rolls, following Rule #1 from the Nikon School I attended: take lots of pictures!). As a side note, my daughter was upset that her skating coach was not getting tickets to the Challenge; he (Christian Newberry, British National Champion 1989) told her, "I'm not paying to watch people I competed against;" it was then she realized who she had been training with for over a year (Christian's son Graham outdid his father, winning in 2077, 2019, 2022 & 2023). The Hershey Arena was also the venue of Wilt Chamberlain's 100 point record during the Philadelphia Warriors vs. NY Knicks game in 1962, but I digress.

Sadly, the film bodies (and that wonder lens) were eventually replaced with DX models (and the lens with an OIS version), but I kept the Ftn: I bought the Ftn and a 50mm, f1.4 at dealer cost directly from Ehrenreich Photo (I was an employee at Ritz Camera at the time), and still can't bear to part with it.

Time Magazine photographer Alfred Eisenstaedt told about his rule #1 in a lecture that I attended. “Push the button.” He said if you don’t push the button you definitely won’t get the picture. He’s probably best known for the photograph of the sailor kissing the nurse at the end of WWII.

My first rule, basically obsolete with digital cameras but imperative for film, was to keep the camera ready at all times. Have the shutter speed and aperture set for the conditions and the focus preset with infinity at the distant end of the depth of field when walking around with a camera.

Time Magazine photographer Alfred Eisenstaedt told about his rule #1 in a lecture that I attended. “Push the button.” He said if you don’t push the button you definitely won’t get the picture. He’s probably best known for the photograph of the sailor kissing the nurse at the end of WWII.

My first rule, basically obsolete with digital cameras but imperative for film, was to keep the camera ready at all times. Have the shutter speed and aperture set for the conditions and the focus preset with infinity at the distant end of the depth of field when walking around with a camera.

Briefly continuing our OT discussion: in 1969 (while waiting for my Nikon purchase to be approved & processed), I borrowed a used F with a built-in external light meter (part of the finder module, but not TTL like the Ftn) from Ritz to take on-the-field photos of my high school’s annual football rivalry game. The official photographer (old guy, probably 50) also had a plain F, and while he had a handheld light meter, he didn’t use it: he’d just look around and say, “f8, 125,” and start shooting. The first few times I checked him, then I stopped wasting time, listened to him and took pictures.

Back