Making a Lead Sinker Mold???

Just saw on TV mysteries of abandoned a tall brick structure used to make musket balls by dropping molten lead...200 feet.

Different approach.

Make a funnel that would allow pouring lead and output side is working wire size.

If placed over some type of oil for coolant then the lead would solidify while in shape of wire.

No clue if it would work.

Using a large soldering iron to keep funnel hot would be needed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

That's the way they use to make lead shot for shot guns, They called it drop shot. Nice Army you have !!.

Might be old news as the OP was in December, 2017. Second the comments above about a vent and mold temperature. I've cast a lot of lead, but it was in silicon molds (www.micromark.com for the 1-1 silicone mold material).

You may try a higher temp on the lead or as suggested above mix tin with your lead. Lead melts at around 620 F, Tin around 450. Mix the two in a ratio of 1/3 lead, 2/3 tin and the mixture melts at around 360 F. Problem you have is the metal mold is a heat sink and is sucking the heat out of the lead. That's why a silicon mold works pretty well for filling, acts as an insulator and holds the heat in.

You may also try preheating the mold with a propane torch, check the temp with a non-contact thermometer.

Bruce

Last edited:
I agree with Bruce that silicon makes better molds. I tried to keep the tin in the alloy at the lowest level possible because it cost me thirty times as much as the lead did. I melted the two together in a small cast iron frying pan and cast ingots in mini muffin tins.

You can also use old wheel weights to get some tin in your alloy. If you don't mind smelting them out beforehand and dealing with the crap.

This’s is a old thread. Growing up Dad poured a lot of jig heads and sinkers. Most molds we used was made out of cast aluminum so they heated up quickly in the first pour. It appears these molds were made out of steel so get them warm enough is a challenge. Then yes there needs a vent, or remake the mold to pour the thin to the large end.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

His real problem , the mold isn't hot enough to allow the lead to spread . Venting would help but most two piece molds allow plenty . I'd run a torch over the mold while pouring heating from the bottom up. Your mold is very well made it will work keep trying till the heats correct once it's hot it should be pour wait a second open dump and repour.

Back