Making a Live Center

He mount the live center on lathe spindle to do a last cut on 60 degrees tip and improve run out...

If it were me , I'de buy a live center and use it to make something a bit more interesting ! I do realize that tools are fun to make , but time is worth $$$$ . Could you not purchase a live center for a reasonable price being it a very standard tool ? :confused 3:

If it were me , I'de buy a live center and use it to make something a bit more interesting ! I do realize that tools are fun to make , but time is worth $$$$ . Could you not purchase a live center for a reasonable price being it a very standard tool ? :confused 3:

I do understand your point ,projects for me never make economic sense, they are opportunities to learn and gain experience,and no matter what I do, that'll cost me $$$$.

Being practical isn't always about the cost , some would like the experience of just building there own. About 25 years ago a good friend wanted me to build him a log splitter . I tried every excuse telling him the cost wouldn't be any savings. Well we built a log splitter I had an old pump and a really great cast iron 10 HP B&S engine. Went to the steel yard and bought the steel . Ordered the wheels bearings and hubs . Time we were done it was close to what they cost . But we added extras tilting ram to stand upright. The engine could only run at a idle or it would blow the lines or the filter. But she's still splitting wood all these years later. So if you build it it may be better then buying. Good luck have fun.

Back