Making a PID controller box for a 20lb melting pot

Not going to draw a drill bit
BTW, if you ever find yourself needing to draw a drill bit, or most any commercial part., McMaster-Carr provides can drawings of almost all of the things they sell suitable for download and installation in most CAD systems. (or at least many). Forgive me if you already know this. For anyone using Fusion 360, it has a feature that allowing you to grab an insert drawings from McMaster-Carr directing within the app.

Looking forward to pictures of your build of this tool.

Clearance grind on the tool is a bit different... rember that it's going in a circle, so the outside surface needs relief to avoid dragging.

Sent from my SM-G715A using Tapatalk

BTW, if you ever find yourself needing to draw a drill bit, or most any commercial part., McMaster-Carr provides can drawings of almost all of the things they sell suitable for download and installation in most CAD systems. (or at least many). Forgive me if you already know this. For anyone using Fusion 360, it has a feature that allowing you to grab an insert drawings from McMaster-Carr directing within the app.

Looking forward to pictures of your build of this tool.
I don't recall seeing a step file. I do know that they offer SolidWorks file format, but I can't import it in FreeCAD. I'll check again. Would be handy to be able to do that.

Edit: McMaster has a SolidWorks addon, I don't see any other things available. I neither have Solidworks, nor Windows, so no CAD models from McMaster for me.

Last edited:
Clearance grind on the tool is a bit different... rember that it's going in a circle, so the outside surface needs relief to avoid dragging.

Sent from my SM-G715A using Tapatalk
Very true. Had to do that to get my lathe trepanning bit to cut. Needs more relief on the ID than OD, due to the greater curvature. I just hacked a quick view of the bit. Drawing tooling bits is hard for me because I find the coordinate system non intuitive. It's not global, but I rarely get the local one right, even after a couple tries. One of those things that confuses me.

Electrical knock out tool?
That would work. I don't have one, so the drawing was a version of something similar. I've searched through my grandfather's electrical stuff, in old wooden boxes, but haven't found anything like it.

Those heat sinks are quite effective - I think you will be surprised at how little air flow you need.

I don't recall seeing a step file. I do know that they offer SolidWorks file format, but I can't import it in FreeCAD. I'll check again. Would be handy to be able to do that.

Edit: McMaster has a SolidWorks addon, I don't see any other things available. I neither have Solidworks, nor Windows, so no CAD models from McMaster for me.

I've downloaded several different STEP files from McMasterr for use in FreeCad. Mostly bearings and seals. Haven't specifically checked tools/drill bits. You have to go into the "Product Detail" link in the same pop-up that you specify quantity to buy.

I think I can make something like this. Pardon my design skills, still learning. Not going to draw a drill bit! Think I have everything I need to make it.
View attachment 449005
Have some 1.25" 1144, and should be able to find some 5/8".
I have three of these in various sizes. I have cut dozens of 4" diameter holes in aluminum and steel sheet with them.

Back