MAKING A POLYCRYSTAL (CBN) INSERT TOOL HOLDER

petcnc

Active User
Registered
Sometime ago I watched in YouTube a guy machining a ball bearing using an insert that can machine the hardest metal (i.e. the bearing) like butter.
The inserts are called ELBOR, made in Russia and are cheap.

P1012479s.jpg

So I searched in ebay, found an auction I put a bet and I won it.

Box.jpg Box1.jpg

They arrived yesterday so tonight I had to make a holder to test it on the lathe.
First I made some measurements. They are 8mm X 14 mm cylindrical inserts with an unusual shape and negative rake angle.

P1012481s.jpg

I have some 14 X 14 mm steel bars that I think will be good for insert holders.

P1012483s.jpg

The guy in the video that used the inserts has a big lathe that can support large tool holders so he made a conventional tool holder.

Μανέλα κοπτικού ELBOR.jpg

For my mini lathe such a holder will protrude so much to the front that will be unusable.
A new approach needed.
I decided to fit the insert in the steel bar at the appropriate height to be exactly at the center of my lathe.

P1012485s.jpg

The bars were measured and marked

P1012486s.jpg

As the hole needed to be offset it would be impossible to drill it to the bar (part of it out of the bar). So I used another bar next to it, supported to a small viseand punched to the center of the required 8mm hole.

P1012488s.jpg

Then I drilled a 4mm pilot hole and the 8mm hole followed

P1012491s.jpg

Then I finished it with a 8mm end mill to flatten the bottom

P1012493s.jpg

Offset hole ready!

P1012494s.jpg

It looks OK

P1012496s.jpg

And the insert fits nicely

P1012497s.jpg

All I need now is a way to support it in place.
A small bolt on the top would be nice…
A hole to the back of the insert…

P1012513s.jpg

Threading the holder..

P1012516s.jpg

A small screw and my new lathe cutter is ready

P1012519s.jpg

Fits nicely to the tool holder

P1012523s.jpg

And lets try to machine some bearing… I decided to machine an old wheel bearing at 600 rpm without any lubricants or cutting oil

P1012524s.jpg

Piece of cake…

P1012530s.jpg

At 600 rpm without any oil or other lubricant it cuts the hard metal better than my carbide inserts cut steel. See the shavings!

P1012529s.jpg

I like the near mirror finish !!!

P1012531s.jpg

Thanks for reading.
Petros

Very cool! Are these tool bits designed to run at a negative rake, or can they do even better at a zero or positive rake? I recently tried to make a spindle mandrel out of an outer CV shaft and failed miserably when I found out how hard that steel was. This may be the solution, thanks for the post.

Very cool! Are these tool bits designed to run at a negative rake, or can they do even better at a zero or positive rake? I recently tried to make a spindle mandrel out of an outer CV shaft and failed miserably when I found out how hard that steel was. This may be the solution, thanks for the post.
If you search at ebay for "ELBOR" there are some for sale!

That's way cool. Try it on some stainless and let us know how it works on that? Titanium maybe?
Robert

I just received two ELBOR inserts and you can see from the picture that there is only one edge on them. Maybe these are the runts of the litter? I'll have to grind another edge somehow.
Must it be a diamond wheel? Maybe I could do this on the Darex E80 some way? Opinions welcomed.

Elbor inserts.jpg

I just received two ELBOR inserts and you can see from the picture that there is only one edge on them. Maybe these are the runts of the litter? I'll have to grind another edge somehow.
Must it be a diamond wheel? Maybe I could do this on the Darex E80 some way? Opinions welcomed.

View attachment 350384
Must be different flavors of ELBORS there! I'm not sure for what machining work each flavor is best. I thing that the ability to machine very hard metals would be fine though!
I never tested an ELBOR to a diamond grinding disk so I have no info on that!

I just got mine as well and it looks just like yours @Winegrower, let me know what you come up with.

John

The problem with drilling a hole in the insert, is now you have to drill ALL of them, and the location of the hole must be fairly precise.

What's in that booklet? Anything interesting (like usage of an ELBOR insert)?

You can get regular style carbide inserts with one cbn corner. Cubic Boron Nitride. They gleefully eat hardened steel leaving an amazing finish! The chips look like fine steel wool and often burn... I mean literally combust on the lathe bed!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Back