• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You
  • June Project of the Month (Click "x" at right to dismiss)
[4]

Making a Welder's Third Hand

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

JR49

Active User
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
So I made a third hand that looks kinda like the pic below but mine has a piece of 1" square re-bar welded to the top of the horizontal portion for weight, but also as a good spot for the work clamp in case I use it to complete the welding circuit. The whole thing is steel, and I ground the sides of the re-bar, where the work clamp will go, as well as the 3 contact points to a shinny finish for good electrical contact. Now I'm wondering if coating the contact surfaces with bronze brazing will improve the conductance to the work- piece. I'm also thinking of putting a continuous bead of bronze from work clamp spot to the point that touches the work- piece. Being a cheapskate, I wanted to do this all with material I had on hand, as opposed to buying an expensive chunk of copper. All opinions appreciated. Don't be kind, if you think the steel will work just as well as the bronze, or any other ideas, speak up. Thanks, JR49 third hand.jpg

Silverbullet

Whatever you make to get help doing a job is a third hand , but the weighted type is a welders third hand. Welding requires many hands fixtures , positioners . Nice build on yours. I use to use vise grips clamped to heavy angle , wasn't doing enough welding to warrant a home made one. But seeing yours I will next time I'm welding.

brino

Active User
H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member

dlane

Active User
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
Ive seen those for small parts but I prefer clamps, less cooling shrink

coherent

I made 3-4 some time back all different sizes. They work great!

[6]
[5] [7]