Making New SB Heavy 10 L front Bearing

mainspring

Registered
Registered
Gents,

After a couple of weeks of fruitless searching, and finding only used and questionable
bronze bearings for my Heavy 10, and since SB/Grizzly is out of them,
I am going to have to make my own.

I plan to start with some 600 series bronze sleeve bearings, and then bore them in a
support sleeve in the 4-jaw. Then I will have to hone them on the Sunnen machine to
final dimension. Then on a long expanding collett, turn the OD to size.
Finally I will have to split the bearing (done in the chuck sleeve from the first step)
and then mill the dovetail for the key. Oil holes will be installed with an end mill.

Concentricity, ID dimension, and parallelism are the issues here.

Any suggestions? Experience? The bearings are cylindrical, not cam ground like a piston ring.

If there is any interest, i will photo document the project and the results.

Facing some interesting work,

Phil L

Me too. Please share anything possible. I have often thought of how on could tackle this project.... Which I am sure someone has St some point

I'd like to see it as well. Just a thought, it might develop into a little side buisness if you where willing. People have been looking for these for a long time. Not just for the tens but for the 13's and 16's too. It could blossom into a little cottage biz if you where willing and figured it all out. I don't know of anyone doing this, seems to be about the only part you cant by or refurb and there is a market for it. Just sayin.........

So... 3.4 yrs later and still no replies?
Has anyone found anyone who's made their own and more importantly MADE AN EXTRA SET?????
because curious minds are still looking!
Heavy 10 bronze split bushing OR SPECS even a PICTURE would help at this point.
Thanks to all who venture here with useful suggestions.

Used. I checked there first.
I'm not qualified to say but the scoring wasn't encouraging.
Thought I'd check out other options first, but the age of posts on topic
seem to point towards self gratification one way or another.

The bearings in my lathe where scored much worse that the ones on ebay, I was able to clean them up with a brake cylinder hone, and polish after the hone, and they adjusted to spec and work awesome. The scoring on the one set of bearings on ebay didn't concern me, but the damage from pulling the caps without removing the expander caps first did. I recently saw a very nice set on there with no expander damage for 100 bucks ish. A steal! Grizzly was selling bearing sets for 700! when they had them. Yes so if someone could figure out how to machine these in quantity they could definitely make some money and help a lot of folks keep these machines alive.

Thanks, I haven't been looking until now so your sharing your observations helps a lot.
I'll keep looking and have some more patience

Back