Making Small Hammers

Nice hammer,cathead. The axle is probably something like 4140. I used to save old axles from the junk yard to make milling arbors years ago.

How did you make the accurate round ball pein?

To taper out the onside of the milled eye of the hammer,I take a coarse round file and file the inside of the hole so that it is gradually bellmouthed in both directions,but more bellmouthed on the front end of the hammer head. Only takes minutes to do this.

I do not try to do this with the milling machine,because shifting the head would result in getting the hole a little out of vertical. When I mill the eye out,and mill the sides flat,the head is still part of a long 1" drill rod bar,which can roll some. I know I could do better on holding the head,but just filing the hole is no biggie.

George,

I did the ball end by eye only. Thanks for the information on filing and will do that
in the future.

Thanks to both of you for your reply's.

Darrell

This is a chasing hammer I made before I realized I was not destined to be an engraver. Head is O-1 to my best recollection and handle is hickory. Close to 30 years old now.100_3842.JPG 100_3851.JPG 100_3851.JPG 100_3846.JPG

Keep on making those hammers! They don't take very long to make,and make your workshop a little nicer place to be.

I used to have a ball pein hammer that was probably about 100 years old. Made by a Mr. Quigley. I have several of his other tools. The hammer was faceted as beautifully as a diamond. A marvelous piece of work. It was stolen from me back in the 80's.

I've seen these types of hammers used in the Bronze Art foundries where I've worked.
What do machinists use these hammer for?

I've seen these types of hammers used in the Bronze Art foundries where I've worked.
What do machinists use these hammer for?

Emilio, I have dozens of different hammers for metal shaping along with the typical ball peens, ect. For a machinist there probably isn't a real use or need that a normal ball pein wouldn't suffice.....except like George said they make your workshop a nicer place to be. Nothing like having beautifully made tools in your shop to help inspire more craftsmanship in one's other work. Amazing that something as simple as a hammer can have such graceful shapes and nice engraving. I have no reason to need one but I am going to make one because I like George's reasoning.:encourage:

Darrell

Back