Making Small Hammers

I agree. If I could, I would own every type of tool I could use.
I love making and repairing tools. Those hammers are beautiful and well made.
I would love to own one or make one myself.

Since I do many kinds of work,including engraving,small die sinking and chasing,I use all kinds of hammers and tools. This enables me to be a full blown,truffle rooting tool pig,which is what I really am at heart!:)

A question for George, Randy, or Cathead. When you milled the oval hole for the handle, did you mill it with a taper so the wedge could expand the handle or is it just a straight sided hole? I realize these are small hammers, used lightly. Just curious if it is necessary as I am going to make a couple.

Thanks
Darrell

Mine was tapered. Making the elliptical shape AND the taper was <ahem> interesting ! I've made only one of these heads and my sister pretty much directed every part of the operation. I have yet to mark the head with my name and date; I've been playing with electro-etching to produce raised lettering.

http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/marking-parts-by-electro-etching.32437/#post-276160

I'm astounded by the beautiful heads that George has made !

Last edited:
Thanks Randy. That is a fine looking hammer that you made as well.

Darrell

Feel free to copy my heads if you want for your own use.

Get the bulged curve just right so you have a neat circle when you mill the sides flat.

You can print a copy of my rough turned head,and shrink it down to get your shape correct.

Feel free to copy my heads if you want for your own use.

Get the bulged curve just right so you have a neat circle when you mill the sides flat.

You can print a copy of my rough turned head,and shrink it down to get your shape correct.

Thank you George. What is the size of your letter stamp you used on your graceful hammer? I know you said 1/4" height on the WW1 stamps but I assume your other stamp is smaller. I presume G. Wilson and Maker are two separate stamps, yes? I may look in to having two different size stamps made.

Regards
Darrell

That stamp is 1/8" tall. Yes,maker is a separate stamp.

Beautiful craftsmanship on the hammers , I fiqured I would present one that I made for a customer of mine.

William

IMG_20140920_162713.jpgIMG_20140920_163152.jpgIMG_20140920_162342.jpg

Back