manual machines at auction?

LEEQ

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I've seen it mentioned that old school machine tools can be had at auction for good deals. Where would a guy look for listings of auctions like this? I can't afford to buy from a dealer that already snatched up the good deal and now wants to soak up middle man $. I want to find a knee mill and ?x36" or 40" lathe.

You really need to track the upcoming auctions from auctioneers in your area. Many have advertisements and catalogs specifically to try to draw people to the auctions.

You are more likely to find things at university and trade school auctions as most of the public schools have seen fit to eliminate many of the programs that would have them.

Auctions around here tend to lean towards farm auctions. I would be willing to travel though if I knew there were stuff worth bidding on. I know I would like to look at this type of thing, I'm looking for resources to look in. Where are the school auctions you speak of listed?

That public surplus is a good one. I wonder if all school listings are on that one. Rusty old mills and lathes on the gov one are kinda hard to take. Why would you do that?

In this current economic climate liquidation sales are where I would be looking. Many businesses have fallen onto unfortunate times and I have heard of machines being sold for scrap that would be better off continuing life in a hobby shop. As unfortunate as this is, I am sure even the previous owners would agree that these machines deserve a second chance. I have bought a great deal from liquidators who unlike auctions, allow you to often test the equipment and it is usually located in warehouses.

Paul.

thanks guys. What is a liquidator and how do i find them. Do they work for banks selling repo stuff?

Back