manual machines at auction?

I have bought a few bits of tooling (indicators, gauge blocks) through auctions on www.proxibid.com.

Proxibid is kind of a middleman-site that puts auction-house auctions on line. I used to be an enthusiastic browser of their auctions,
now I am more skeptical of the value they (Proxibid) provide. The problem is that many auction houses are not equipped to handle
on line buyers. The auction houses don't know how to photograph tooling so you get enough detail, their lot descriptions range from
accurate to hilarious, many of them don't want to deal with setting up shipping, and you (the buyer) are just too far from the action.
Long story short, there are auctions listed there that should never be listed for online customers - they are simply noise to filter.

That said, you can use Proxibid to filter auctions on the basis of driving distance, and use the catalog photos to get a better idea of
whether it's worth it to make the drive.

(In case it's not clear, I have no connection with Proxibid beyond being a user.)
- John

Guys let me just say this regarding auctions. Yes they are great places to find high quality manual machines as well as tooling. Deals can be had but for several reasons its getting harder and harder to do it this way. FWIW I have been watching and attending industrial auctions as part of my job for 10-15 yrs. I have bought most of the tools and machines I own this way over the same time period. With the advent of internet and ability to bid online at these things however there is more and more competition and the prices und up going sky high. The other factor to consider is the auction houses "cut" or buyers premium as it is known. Used to be 8-10% now 16-18% is the norm. Also the premium is usually 1-2% more if you bid online vs in person. Obviously that sucks if you dont want to shoot a day off work and stand around with a bunch of grumps vying to snag that Kurt vise to sAve $50!! They also will collect sales tax from you unless you have an exemption. The other thing I see is any time there isan auction with lots of equipment desireable to the HSM types there are scads of those guys in attendance. They go nuts and beat each other up driving theprices. Its comical actually. I see stuff selling sometimes at the price of new! Now L never admit Im one of them but lets just say Ive gotten good deals and some not so good :) :) My advice would be to definitely stay in tune with any auctions that are LOCAL that you can run over and inspect the items. Have cash in hand and know what the new and buy it any day used price should be. Figure in the premium, taxes and your time plus to and from travel. Bid your max amount right at going going gone stage and either win it or walk. Being on site also helps because often times littleodds and ends that are part of the machine you bid on end up in other peoples trucks. Manuals, spare parts, etc often get thrown out either the auctioneer doesnt keep things together. Sometimes you do get lucky and I wish you that!

I have had some good finds on the GSA Site, Public Surplus and the Government liquidation site. A good rule of thumb I have found on used equipment is, it can be sold for no more than 1/2 of new price and I bid accordingly. With the advent of internet it is very easy to research a piece of equipment. Personally I do most of my buying on line, and I pick up the items myself. If it is a big ticket item I will take the time to look at it before I purchase. Patience is a virtue in this game, and don't get caught up in the heat of the moment. I have made a profitable hobby dealing in used equipment that I pick up at auction. I have found some things on Craig s List, but you have to be fast, with money in hand. Here is a picture of my baby I picked up from the Government Liquidation site for $750.00. She is a very lightly used late model South Bend 10K. If I had a mind too, I could easily double my money on this machine.

IMG_1906.JPG

I've done a lot of looking lately and what I have found confirms my suspicion; I can't afford to pay the middle man. I need to find the auctioneers that sell this machinery and go to those auctions. Maybe my local guys that do estates and farms can point me towards the guys doing industrial auctions. Any other good ideas as to how to find them?

I've done a lot of looking lately and what I have found confirms my suspicion; I can't afford to pay the middle man. I need to find the auctioneers that sell this machinery and go to those auctions. Maybe my local guys that do estates and farms can point me towards the guys doing industrial auctions. Any other good ideas as to how to find them?

I have posted ads in Craig's List for "machines wanted" and I was able to acquire a Rockwell 10" & a South Bend 9A for very reasonable prices. My daughter and I have been doing this for two years and we have turned probably 25 Hobby lathes. Bear in mind we are doing this in New Mexico, you should have a much easier go of it in Missouri.

thanks guys. What is a liquidator and how do i find them. Do they work for banks selling repo stuff?

They can work in this way. They also buy in bulk from companies close to banckruptcy and move the goods cheap to try get them out of the financial issue short term. The guys I buy from have a huge warehouse where I buy things by the pile rather than individual items. Where to find them depends I guess. In the USA it may be auction houses or auctioneers handling this role.

Paul.

Macrnr; I feel not so bright never having thought about the machines wanted angle. Good advice. Cheese; Wow what beautiful toys. I think I could make a trip if I won something.

Back