Mattsson & Zetterlund VF600 Restoration

That is a very interesting machine. Seems to be comparable in size to a round column mill drill but with better rigidity. Too bad they are rare, I will probably never see one in person.
Yes, rigidity is awesome. It was made in Swedish, at the time when machine was built to last. I was in doubt to buy a new Chinese Rong FU 45 or this. Although it is pretty much used, I will rebuild it and it will be perfect hobby machine, small but precise just as I need, or, at least I hope so :)

Main Spindle bearing is special, NN3007K SP, mean, double roller bearing with taper inside race, super precision. I was decided to buy a bearing and appropriate grease from well known manufacturer, hence, Swedish machine ask for Swedish bearings ;) It coasts a small fortune, but, I just want to make it right. Mounting this bearing is an adventure, as I will show.

Attachments

• IMG_0260.JPG
    IMG_0260.JPG
    40.9 KB · Views: 18
Now, Spindle Bearings are interesting one. They need to run very accurate, but due to manufacturing tolerances every bearing has some inner clearance to accommodate housing and shaft size tolerances. To cancel all of that, usually spindle bearings has some kind of adjusting mechanism. On my machine it is done by taper inner race, so when I tighten nut that holds inner race on shaft, it pushes it up, expanding inner race to the size needed to cancel all inner tolerances. Who ever need more information about this subject I strongly recommend this text written by professionals:

or this discussion from other forum:

or this recommendations from SKF:

Now, this is how I was done it:

On first picture my initial setup for reference can be seen, a two micron dial test indicator on mag base touching an outer race, hold on position by mag base stick to shaft. Grey ring between bearing and mag base is ring made from aluminum just to prevent bearing outer race to tilt during measuring. Inner race was just pulled on shat by hand as far as it can go, without knocking it or any force. How many inner tolerance I have can be seen on this video:

I move outer race sliding perpendicular to shaft axis along aluminum ring without any force. Measuring says 24 microns. After I was mount outer race in Housing, I was again measure clearance. This time mag base is mounted on Quill, aluminum ring was removed. Guiding of shaft was accomplished by back bearing and inner race was on the same place. Measuring was done by moving shaft up and down instead of moving outer race as on previous video. Result is shown here:

Measuring says 22 microns. Did I mention that outer race has loose fit in Housing? Nut has 1mm pitch, and according to SKF equation for Tightening angle Alpha are: 360*18*C/(1000*P) where 18 is constant base on Spindle wall thickness, C is measured clearance (here 22 microns plus recommended preload, here 2 to 5 microns) and P is Tightening Nut Thread Pitch, so after some math I get 168 DEG. Third video shows clearance after some initial tightening...

After I was tightened it to about 120 DEG I was decided to stop because bearing has preload and I do not want to overtighten bearing. After all, I can tighten it later if there is need for that. If it is overtightened it will heat more then acceptable. Heating is a matter of grease also.

On second picture new ball bearing mounted but not yet tightened with tightening nut and red mark for tightening angle measuring can be seen.

Proper procedure calls for bearing running in during which process temperature rise has to be measured. So, I put thermo couple with some silicone grease used for transistor mounting on heat sink for temperature transfer and let spindle to run, from slowest to fastest speed. After about hour of running, forward and revers the temperature rice from 19 Celsius to 47 Celsius.

This is result I am satisfied with.

Attachments

• IMG_20190514_192556.jpg
    IMG_20190514_192556.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20190514_201825.jpg
    IMG_20190514_201825.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0262.JPG
    IMG_0262.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0263.JPG
    IMG_0263.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 17
Little is left to be done, so, I hope, my next post will be test cut video with big smile all around my face :abnornal:

That is a very interesting machine. Seems to be comparable in size to a round column mill drill but with better rigidity. Too bad they are rare, I will probably never see one in person.

It's about the same size as a Rockwell mill, but a few hundred pounds heavier. In addition to the VF600 I have also had at various times an RF31 round column, Clausing 8530, Millrite and others. None have knocked off the V600 as my favorite. It's a nice and very compact design.

Back