Mauser action rust pitting

Thanks for all of the replies. I agree with derf it is a turd, just wondering what the consensus would be on to what degree. It came with 2 other Mausers and some other things something like 18 years ago, all 3 had 8mm short chambered barrels. The other 2 were in very good shape and were put back in use years ago. One of which I still have. Yeah Jubil the barrel is not seated though nothing is bent must be something with the camera angle. My question about the pitting, I read descriptions about rusting/ pitting, like "lightly", "mild", "severe" and I've wondered how subjective those descriptions were/ are. I wish someone with several actions of varying degrees of pitting and alot of experience would make a handy little picture chart from no rust to mild all the way to "this POS is just rust molecules holding hands";)
Again, thanks for the feedback.

I agree on the turd theory..not worth wondering every time you pull the trigger if you're gonna get hurt.probably not BUT..

What about using it for a smaller casing, so one could leave more metal in the barrel? Thinking like a 30 Carbine, or similar size cartridge. Or if doing a whole new barrel, how about a 5.56?

I tried google, but had no luck, is there such a chart that shows the cartridges by chamber pressure?

Too bad about the rust. I'd like to own a F.N. Herstal-made Mau Mau.

(from mobile)

I tried google, but had no luck, is there such a chart that shows the cartridges by chamber pressure?

Yes, it's all in your favorite reloading manual. You can download Hodgdon's for free.

(from mobile)

I always try to err on the side of safety so depends on your cartridge choice. Magnums would be a definite 'no-no' but low pressure chamberings or even handgun calibers should be safe. I've seen several carbines built for the 45 ACP. Novelty items but lots of fun to shoot.

While that action would likely be safe to fire in its present condition, it is not worth reusing. The issues with substantial pitting as you show us here, is that while the rust pits will continue to get deeper, eventually breaching the action's walls, they also contribute to accellerated intergranular corrosion-which is the real killer here. Intergranual corrosion significantly weakens the strength of the steel when it is stressed-so you get cracks that start where the locking lug seats are cut into the front ring, and the valleys of the barrel threads.

Traditionally, any pitting, no matter how extensive, was usable as long as the deepest pit was no more than a 0.010" deep, as that much could be polished off completely and would never make a bit of difference to the strength of the action.

I tested a handful of Mauser receivers when I had access to the X-ray fluoroscope at work for a while, and all of mine were roughly 1035 carbon steel. I tested a Ludwig Lowe Chilean M95, Oviedo Spanish M93, FN M24, 1908 Brazilian, and my stash of 1910 small-ring Mexicans. The Mexican receivers had some chrome and nickel, but not very much at all.

Back