Max spindle speed G0602 VFD...

For sure...they are for huge CNC monsters with 24000 rpm spindles, way out of my league.
SO....other than a video, I will not be using over 2500...MAYBE 3k. Good idea to change the bearings, but that's not gonna save my sorry back side.
Got it.
Thanks guys!

Heck if it were me, I'd build a blast shield to stand behind along with a remote switch!
Reminds me of video the turbo charged Mazda rotary engine on the test bed, in a safety chamber, they just kept turning up the turbo boost and the fuel, then there was a SUPER LOUD BANG, there was shrapnel everywhere, most of the pieces were the size of a baseball, but as the test operator said, it made roughly 1200-1300 hp for about 3 seconds.............

Last edited:
I wouldn't want to push my 602 to 5,000 rpm. Even if the bearings are up to the task, the spindle lubrication system on the 602 leaves a lot to be desired. There are no oil seals and no provision for metering oil to the bearing. Any oil added will run through the bearing and out fairly quickly. at high rpm, centrifugal force will throw the oil more rapidly, leaving the bearings starved for lubrication. Minimally, if I were running at high rpm, I would replace the OEM ball oilers with an oil cup and a wick so oil could be delivered through the course of operation.

In addition to the spindle bearings, there are ball bearings in the belt tensioner and a bushing on the 60 tooth gear. The gear bushing turns at 2/3 the spindle speed but the tensioner is turning at around 2.5 x the spindle speed.

I have the 1st few parts of James' ELS, so building will begin sometime soon. That will take the change gears out the equation, but yeah, nothing about this is safe for >3000rpm. I don’t need it anyway, it’s just since I don’t have to changes belts anymore, what would happen if I did? (Rhetorical question at this point) I don’t think I’ve ever used 2400 prior to VFD TBH.
A question about magnet placement for RPM gauge. When I get to 2k, it sure seems like ALOT more. My magnet placement can’t have that much effect can it??

Yesterday, I was changing chucks on the Jet 14 x 40 lathe, while off, I spun the naked D1-4 spindle, at 2000 rpms. Damn!! That looks fast!! The lathe made a slightly unhappy sound, almost like “Hey, what the hell are you doing”. I put the Bison 6-1/4” chuck back on and ran it a “normal” speeds, all was well.

I had my chuck on, I no longer need the splined belt, but I did find the nylon gear just below the spindle nylon gear, really has play & tracks at an angle...gets a bit noisy. I’d like to redo that shaft & gear with something more precision. Right now I’m working in the ELS.

I had my chuck on, I no longer need the splined belt, but I did find the nylon gear just below the spindle nylon gear, really has play & tracks at an angle...gets a bit noisy. I’d like to redo that shaft & gear with something more precision. Right now I’m working in the ELS.
If you can figure a way to drive the encoder, you wouldn't need the 60 tooth gear. The 40 tooth spindle gear could be replaced with a gear belt pulley.

Back