Maybe a little over sized for my chucks. But I need to get it done.

My "big" job only had a 1/4" clearance from the bed (actually the base where the gap section sits - I had the gap out). How I set it up, took a bit of thinking - and quite a bit longer than the actual job. It was not too big for the machine (of course a larger machine would have made the job easier and quicker) - it just took a little extra thought.

http://www.hobby-machinist.com/thre...bigger-lathe-would-be-nice.53056/#post-446263

Same with what you are going to tackle. You machine is plenty large enough. Here is another idea - what about flipping the pin around and gripping the straight in your chuck, then spot a little area and put in a center (not going to hurt the pin). Then you pop a center in the plane end (i.e. a drill press, hand drill etc), then you may be able to turn it between centers.

As an alternative, if it would be ok with the final object, you could have drilled a through-hole, and a long bolt and maybe a short bit of tubing, bolt it tightly together and then chuck the end of the bolt or the tubing if you used it.

My "big" job only had a 1/4" clearance from the bed (actually the base where the gap section sits - I had the gap out). How I set it up, took a bit of thinking - and quite a bit longer than the actual job. It was not too big for the machine (of course a larger machine would have made the job easier and quicker) - it just took a little extra thought.

http://www.hobby-machinist.com/thre...bigger-lathe-would-be-nice.53056/#post-446263

Same with what you are going to tackle. You machine is plenty large enough. Here is another idea - what about flipping the pin around and gripping the straight in your chuck, then spot a little area and put in a center (not going to hurt the pin). Then you pop a center in the plane end (i.e. a drill press, hand drill etc), then you may be able to turn it between centers.
I thought of that, but I think the elbow prevents me from getting in cleanly on the spot I need to center.
And I would still have to turn the end of that straight end. A dog would get in the way of that.

Nice big job you had there. most of the time the 9 is fine for what I do, but sometimes I wish I had a big gear head, but that wouldn't fit in the basement. Who knows, when I move, I may try to get a barn or outbuilding for a shop, OR a basement with a walkout. The nice part about the basement is it is always around 65 degrees, The tough part is getting things up and down the stairs, and around the bend.

These are small items really, just bigger than my jaws can handle. I'm going to try to align it up for welding a rod on it.

Can you weld a "handle" on? Make a nice pretty prep on the mill. You can tailstock support it (put the center in with a hand drill, if you have to - it is a snow plow mount, not a wrist watch).

Thanks, that was a simple solution and worked great. Wish I thought of it first..;) , I have given it out as a solution, but failed to see it as my solution DUH.

SDC12020.JPG

Thanks, that was a simple solution and worked great.
Jeff,
Have you got any pictures of them with the piece you welded-on for machining and cut off later?
That would make this a very complete thread to "point to" later when someone else needs a similar solution.
Thanks,
-brino

Sorry, but I was a mess, and my camera was upstairs , so I didn't run to get it.

Back