mc-30 motor controller with treadmill motor issue

Porsche650

Registered
Registered
I am trying to get a MC-30 motor controller to work with a 90v 10amp 4700rpm 3 wire treadmill motor. I've installed a POT on the MC-30 but unfortunatly the motor spins well as long as you stay under 16volts then it starts and stops. Also i tired with a 40watt bulb and its very laggy when the bulb illuminated the response being delayed. The picture has a 50k pot that i initially tried using and now have a 5k pot which still has the same affect on the motor turns off then on at 16 volts. Anyone have any ideas. Do i need the ground wire attaches to motor from AC line? or the 3rd wire from the motor?

photo (2).jpg

Hey, welcome to the site, sorry I can't help you with your electrical problem though. I do have to ask what your "handle" of Porsche 650 means; I know what a 550 is, but a 650 has me curious.

Bob

Well now I know... thanks for the heads-up. I hope you get one, it looks like lots of fun!
Bob

Hopefully someone with more electrical knowlege than I have will chime in.

you still need the transformer i don't see it, google the wireing for a mc 60 or 30 or 40

Being that the motor and controller were seperatly ordered how can i find what transformer to buy also how would i wire this to the motor?

Part of the delay and slow response is a capacitor in the circuit. Remember it was designed to run a tread mill and instantaneous speed changes could be hazardous. I would love to tell you which one to change and how to defeat the time delay but the notes are at home in my shop and I am in Japan until the middle of July. There are lots of sites with the mc-60 documentation but I think yours is like mine and has some extra stuff. The transformer is actually called an inductor and is used to smooth out the current running through the motor. Most trashed tread mills have them. This would help with the jerky running.

I have used a MC-60 controller and treadmill motor on my X2 mill. Works great, and without the inductor. Also have a MC-60 and treadmill motor currently running my sand muller, also without a choke.
I'm not familiar with the MC-30, but asume it's quite similar to the later MC-60.
I'm not sure why your motor has 3 wires, unless one is for the thermal sensor. I discarded them on my applications. The motor itself should only need the red and black wires. Thermal sensor wires are usually blue.
I used a 5k ohm linear pot for the speed control on both, and though I experimented with defeating the soft start feature, I have left it intact and gotten used to it. It works like the origional speed control on the mill and my SEIG lathe.
I do have several chokes from treadmills and will give you one if you really want one. I am in Tennessee, but leaving in the morning for vacation in N.Y. state. I'll stick one or two of the chokes in the car. I will have e-mail and internet while there. I will be in /near Sidney for 5 days, then North Bay for several days. If you like, we can meet up somewhere. I will not be available 5 July as we have a family function.

Chuck

Thanks for the help but your about 4hrs from me in north bay. I will probably try to get a mc60 board and see what happens from there since i've never heard of problems with the mc60 just get a treadmill motor and a Pot and thats it.

- - - Updated - - -

yea but wat was needed to run the treadmill motor with the Mc30 jimbo just transformer i can live with just the delay for the time being.

I am trying to get a MC-30 motor controller to work with a 90v 10amp 4700rpm 3 wire treadmill motor. I've installed a POT on the MC-30 but unfortunatly the motor spins well as long as you stay under 16volts then it starts and stops. Also i tired with a 40watt bulb and its very laggy when the bulb illuminated the response being delayed. The picture has a 50k pot that i initially tried using and now have a 5k pot which still has the same affect on the motor turns off then on at 16 volts. Anyone have any ideas. Do i need the ground wire attaches to motor from AC line? or the 3rd wire from the motor?

I'm not sure but I think that the brown and the blue wire are reversed on the speed pot attachment to the board. I have never used an MC30 and the pot connections are different then on the MC60 I use on my Mill/lathe combination controller. The center wire -BLUE- from the pot is the variable voltage to the circuit and I think it should be hooked to the individual point on the board.

The inductor coil -TRANSFORMER- stabilizes the motor at the lower speeds It will work without it but you could get some jerking at low RPM

Good luck

Art B

Back