mc-30 motor controller with treadmill motor issue

The wiring on the second picture brown to speed pot and blue to L. When i rewired to your spec i would turn the pot(I installed) a little and go with the screw driver forwards and backwards on all the pots on the board and nothing worked.

I just added this about the jumped resistor after taking a good look at it in the picture

The jumped resistor looks like a paralleled capacitor and resistor which is a method of time delay signal, I'm not quit sure what it would be used for, it also looks like it is something that was added as normally they would be paralleled in the board. It is possible that the board has been modified for a specific application and no longer functions as originally intended. If tha is the case you will probaly need to find another board. Watch craigs for a free treadmill, I have 4 sets of motors on my tools and haven't paid for any of them.

Art B

Would you believe the mc60 would solve my issue? I see one on ebay i might just get so i can get this project done. I would wait as you say but by me it is rare someone puts it on craigslist for free I would have to have the luck of seeing one at bulk pick up and by driving around i waste more time and gas then buying directly.

I truely believe an MC-60 would fix you right up. As I have said before, an MC-60 controller and 2.5hp treadmill motor runs my X2 mill, and another runs my sand muller.

Chuck

Funny enough i found a guy selling a MC-64 which i found out is the same thing as a 60 just it allows a higher current limit. It was $6.00 shipped not even worth second guessing anything.

This one works fine only issue is i have to spin the pot 1/4 turn before it starts and I don't believe it spins as the full rpm.

I would get a new pot, also as i stated in a earlier thread break the center wire (wiper) and install your motor start and stop switch then you don't have to change the speed on the pot it will start where you left it.

Changing the pot won't change where the motor starts turning. Also won't change the maximum speed.

On the MC60 controller that is driving a 2.5HP motor on my wood lathe, the maximum drive voltage to the motor was 95VDC when the pot was set for maximum with the controller in the stock configuration.

Lowering the value of R21 on the circuit board to 50K ohms increased the maximum drive voltage to 120VDC. To keep the mod simple I paralleled a second 100K resistor across R21. Lowering R21 also reduces the start ramp up time.

Removing Q7 from the board defeats the start up interlock that requires the speed to be zero before the motor will start. Q7 is one of the transistors next to the current limit LED. I unceremoniously bent the transistor back and forth until it broke off...

One thing to note is when running the MC60 at maximum speed there is an unstable condition in the speed servo circuit. If you get into this mode the motor speed will become erratic and the current drawn by the controller will be high in short pulses. In my shop it causes the lights to flicker. Simple fix is don't turn the speed up into the unstable zone. I've added a diode clamp that limits the voltage from the DC servo to prevent this.

I had one other issue with the MC60. When turning a large heavy part the speed was erratic. The controller would ramp up at full power then coast down only to ramp up again. The issue was the IR (current boost) compensation of the stock circuit was too high. Adding an IR compensation adjustment that allows the circuit to be tuned to the needs of the lathe fixed that problem.

Gary

The controller i'am using is a m45, and i broke the wiper wire (middle wire on the pot) and installed my motor start and stop switch, now i can leave the pot where it is and not have to lower it to start the motor. I n other word it will start at the rpm i left it at.

Back