McMaster Carr shipping cost

Back in the day I discovered the way to get a McMaster paper catalog is to tell them you have 20+ employees. But nowadays who needs one, when their website is arguably the best in the world? They're not the cheapest but the service is worth it. Regarding shipping, it's extremely rare I don't get what I ordered the next day (NJ warehouse to Connecticut). On one occasion, I placed an online order in the morning and had it later the same day.

Bandwidth to serve up pages in their catalog can't really be much of an issue. First, I find it very anti-consumer of them to ban someone because they are browsing the primary sales platform. That would be like disconnecting the phone to a sales person, short sighted. I wonder if they thought you were with a competitor and were trying to copy their work? We may never know.

+1 for McMaster. I get catalogs through my work and I can't tell you how resourceful they are. One of the best bathroom books printed. Their shipping is some of the best in my opinion. I've ordered stuff first thing 6:00 am and received before my day's end at work 2:30 from a speedy van. I also have the convienence of a 1/2 ride to their store. I see people selling the old catalogs for 20-30 bucks. I'll give one up for postage if wanted.

I've never been "banned" from site. Now I've only been on at one time maybe a hr. Going back and fourth getting numbers. Either way they are leaps and bounds from grainger. That website is slower than a turtle!

McMaster has the best website hands down. Their search engine is absolutely amazing and the options for narrowing down what you need is pure awesomeness.
I found out an interesting twist regarding their shipping. I ordered something for myself and it took 3 days, came by UPS and as usual, the UPS screw job shipping prices. The next order I had it shipped to my buddy's place which is and "engineering firm". They shipped it via Spee Dee delivery (Midwest thing) and got it the next day for $6 in shipping charges. Super awesome.

I've always found McMaster's shipping to Washington state to be quick and fairly priced. For some reason I seem to recall that the checkout page did offer shopping estimates, but I could be wrong about that.

As far as temporary banning for bandwidth abuse, usually sites only do that when they are experiencing an actual problem.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

The original question was about shipping to the UK by McMaster Carr. One answer mentioned customs. A bigger issue for M.C. is probably export control. If they ship something they shouldn't to the wrong person/company/country, they could be subject to unpleasant visits by the Feds and possibly very large fines or worse. Yeah, we don't want to help bad guys make nukes, etc. but determining what can be sent overseas is way too complicated. I've taken classes on the subject and its very confusing. Much easier for M.C. to not sell outside the US except to major corporations than to risk a mistake.

Fortis64, Have you found a solution for this issue yet? If not, and, if McMaster will sell to you / me - you could always buy the part and have it shipped to my address and then I can forward it on to you - - we would first need to determine what shipping costs from Northern California to you would be and then we could get you your part! Hate to see a machine languish for lack of a part.

By the way... I'll add that McMaster Carr is a private company. No Wall Street stock issued here, so the damned Bean Counters are not welcomed. I can assure you that the day they go public ( God Forbid) .... We'd then be paying 35.00 shipping for a small order fitting in an envelope weighing 2 ounces.
Theres something to be said for a "Privately held", WELL RUN company. Wall Street's capitalism run amuck with corporate raiders just isn't a good thing for America IMO.

Back