Meandering Mauser Memories

Bobby Bailey

Active User
Registered
Randy, nice write-up. The 1903 Springfield is a much closer copy of the 1898 Mauser than of the 1893. 93's are small ring actions, no safety lug on the bolt and cock on closing while the 98 is a large ring action with a safety lug (third lug) and cocks on opening. Also, I've not seen a 1909 Mauser that was not a version of a 98. In fact 1909's are the sought after 98's.
Bobby

Randy, I like the cock on closing ones too. My favorite bolt action (the one I hunt with most) is a M96 Swede, 6.5x55 and of course, cocks on closing. Speaking of the tiger striped walnut stock, I know what you mean. I have a M95, 7x57 with a beautiful full tiger stripe stock. They really used some great wood on some of the old rifles, not to mention the blueing.
Bobby

I have a 98 that is chamber for a 30-06. Its a FN reciever that carries the Western Field (Monkey Wards exclusive) title. I have done nothing more than mount a used variable power scope. and cut the stock down to fit me. This is my favorite rifle bar none. It does great for the Whitetail deer in east Tx. Being we dont have a lot of "flat space" I have never tapped into its full potintial, but am looking foward to the day I can really "open it up". Im looking for a cheap original for a father son project.

Love the swedish mauser myself, but i think all mausers are great i have my share.:))

I've built quite a few custom Mausers over the years; my favorite still remains a 1909 Argentine action built up with a Shilen barrel and chambered in 35 Whelan Ackley Improved. 1992... doesn't seem like twenty years ago. It has been quite efffective over the years.

Whackley.jpg

Whackley.jpg

I've built quite a few custom Mausers over the years; my favorite still remains a 1909 Argentine action built up with a Shilen barrel and chambered in 35 Whelan Ackley Improved. 1992... doesn't seem like twenty years ago. It has been quite efffective over the years.

View attachment 43048
nice job John, i still need the feel of picking one up here and there when the price is right, i have spanish chambered in a 308 which was my first home built added a new barrel from midwayusa tinney triger with safety and a new thumbhole stock and optics, i,m is missouri and hunt alot of bean fields and fence rows and she always brings home the bacon or should i say venison . but again great job. Mac:))

Speaking of Mausers, I keep drooling every time I see a "Mitchel's Mausers" ad in my gun magazines. I have hesitated to drop any coin on them due to having no information about Mitchel's. Any one know if they are offering good quality guns or just over priced junk?

Thanks,

-Ron

I wonder where RandyC (OP) got off to. Anyone seen him around? Last time I heard from him, his health and his wife's was not too good. He didn't tell us anything before leaving, just quit posting. I hope he and his wife are OK.

Mausers are fun guns to work with. I have a stock 98 now I ought to do something with. I don't hunt anymore, gave up on paper punching a long time ago, never got into silhouettes, although I have built a few over the years, and shot some in testing. Actually I don't know why I have the gun. I've shot it exactly 3 times since getting it. My property is about half wooded, and yes, there are deer all around me, but the only animal I care to kill now is the feral hogs that come through now and then. Winter coming will probably bring them back around. I hit one with 00 Buckshot last year and it ran and I couldn't track it. It was night, and I'm not sure how good I hit it, but there was lots of blood. I figure it went off and died.

Speaking of Mausers, I keep drooling every time I see a "Mitchel's Mausers" ad in my gun magazines. I have hesitated to drop any coin on them due to having no information about Mitchel's. Any one know if they are offering good quality guns or just over priced junk?

Thanks,

-Ron
i have held one that a friend of mine bought and it was a quality rifle but i thought the price was a little high but then you figure in the work they do on them it adds up, then i stumbled on to gibbs rifle company which is no longer in business had some very nice mausers and some 303 british which i bought one for my son on his 16th birthday and half to admit it was a great shooter and still is, i have a 303 brit chamberd in a 308 its a long ranch and i love it. Mac:))

Ron -

I had one from Mitchell's several years ago and it was very nice. However, collectors shy away from them as they are refurbished/assembled/post war manufacture. If that isn't important to you personally, it is a great example of a 98 Mauser in military trim.

Back