Meandering Mauser Memories

Mac,

I have one of those '95 Spanish Mausers that were imported years back as 308Win. It's not, really, as the original chambering was loaded to much less pressure than 308W. Nice shooter, but I use reduced handloads as I don't trust a non-swede small ring mauser at those pressures.

Tony,

I see you live in Tyler, Tx. Would you have known Jack Mattingly or his son Craig?

Mac,

I have one of those '95 Spanish Mausers that were imported years back as 308Win. It's not, really, as the original chambering was loaded to much less pressure than 308W. Nice shooter, but I use reduced handloads as I don't trust a non-swede small ring mauser at those pressures.
the one i have i bought from a local gunsmith he is the one who fitted the barrel for me and asured me it wouldnt blow up in my face and after a few months of cleaning up his shop and doing some welding for him he started teaching me how to re barrel and finish clambering the mausers, but i am no gunsmith by far, but i do shoot factory loads and have no problems, what yr it was made i dont know maybe its a after war model that makes it take factory loads i dont know but it has served me well through the yrs, and i do reload all my brass and shells, but ty for the info. Mac:))

I had a non swede Mauser in 308 come in the shop a while back. They couldn't understand why new factory ammo was coming out of the chamber in 2 pieces. It was .038" over the go headspace gauge. Was his 14 year olds rifle and a recent rebarrel. I pulled the barrel and would not put it back on, he was pisssssed and left very angry. That thing was incredibly set back on the lugs.

I had a non swede Mauser in 308 come in the shop a while back. They couldn't understand why new factory ammo was coming out of the chamber in 2 pieces. It was .038" over the go headspace gauge. Was his 14 year olds rifle and a recent rebarrel. I pulled the barrel and would not put it back on, he was pisssssed and left very angry. That thing was incredibly set back on the lugs.
better to be ****** than loose a son, hats off to you. go and no go gages are a must and are pretty cheap if it means not having a rifle blow up in your face, i dont take chances if there is any doubt that a firearm is unsafe i wont shoot it and for darn sure let someone else shoot it and will always let a experienced gunsmith check it out.
:)) Mac

Tony,

I see you live in Tyler, Tx. Would you have known Jack Mattingly or his son Craig?

No, I don't believe I do. Only last name I know of Craig carries a first name of Del. I'm a native here, but there are right at 100,000 people in the city limits, and in Smith county, almost 250k in total. So it's likely there are 249,000 or so I don't know.:))

No, I don't believe I do. Only last name I know of Craig carries a first name of Del. I'm a native here, but there are right at 100,000 people in the city limits, and in Smith county, almost 250k in total. So it's likely there are 249,000 or so I don't know.:))

Yeah, I knew there were a lot of folks there. Used to go out there and shoot with them years ago. Wife still wants to go back when First Monday is in session.

Since the late Jack Mattingly was a retired school teacher/administrator and his son Craig Mattingly is an EMT and police officer I just had to ask.

i have held one that a friend of mine bought and it was a quality rifle but i thought the price was a little high but then you figure in the work they do on them it adds up, then i stumbled on to gibbs rifle company which is no longer in business had some very nice mausers and some 303 british which i bought one for my son on his 16th birthday and half to admit it was a great shooter and still is, i have a 303 brit chamberd in a 308 its a long ranch and i love it. Mac:))

Ron -

I had one from Mitchell's several years ago and it was very nice. However, collectors shy away from them as they are refurbished/assembled/post war manufacture. If that isn't important to you personally, it is a great example of a 98 Mauser in military trim.

Thanks guys that's the kind of information I was looking for. I'm not a "collector" as I will go out and shoot every gun I have so they may just be the ticket. Now, have to start coming up with something to justify another purchase with the wife... :biggrin:

-Ron

Back