Members Downunder?

middle.road

Granite Stoopid...
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Just catching up on regular news after being down for a week.
How are y'all doing?
Hoping that everyone is safe & sound and out of harm's way!
Thoughts and prayers go out to all those affected, including all the poor wildlife.

Had to sort through the chaff to find current maps of the devastation and that exercise takes a person's breathe away.

Were good up here in North Queensland thanks. So far as its cyclone as well as fire season now. we disparately need the water the cyclones will bring but do not want the devastation they leave in their wake but current forcast put the number of expected cyclones way down.
The devastation down south so far is horrendous, wildlife, insects and dwellings and amidst all that there are still low life scum bags looting.
10.7 million hectares burned so far.

It has been the worst start to summer that I can remember, and probably the worst on record. To start with the country is in the grip of a serious drought, in some areas little or no rain for 4 years. I know some areas have had worse droughts before, but this is so widespread. I remember meeting a family some 50 odd years ago their 8 and 10 yer old boys had never seen rain, but the next year they were flooded, but that's how it goes in some parts of the country.

Following on the drought we have had some of the worst bushfires in history, covering huge areas of the country. Again we've had bad bushfires before, but they tended to be more localised, not such a huge area all at once.

The really sad part is that well over a hundred people have been arrested for deliberately starting fires in restricted areas and on fire ban days. What makes people do that.

Today was 43c 110 in the old money, in Adelaide, and while we do get hotter than this, not usually until February. Where i live in the foot hills on the south side of Adelaide we have had some catastrophic fires in years past, but so far it''s been pretty quiet around here, although a lot of smoke in the air. Visibility is down to about 5 Km. The nearest fire is about 15 - 20 Km away so we are fairly safe for the moment. Kangaroo Island of the south coast of South Australia about 60 -60 miles south of Adelaide has been burning for some days, and almost half of it is gone.

When we built here 15 years ago, I set up sprinklers along the ridge lines of the house and on the fences around the house, the house is built of brick concrete and steel, and I have a good fire pump with 27,000 L of water so I'm pretty sure we can successfully defend our property.

On the matter of starting fires. Here in my country we have the same problem,but the difference is they start it out of pure spite and hatered. Some do it as a form of job creation can you believe that. But it is all sad and I always think about the poor animals.

Greed makes people do all sorts of things that ordinary people find difficult to comprehend.
Just look at some of the dodgy decisions big business and politicians make.

Watched a few travel shows while recuperating and I have to say, that someday I would really like to hit the east coast of Australia.
Give me an RV/Caravan and three or four months.

Let us know when you bight that bullet, might see you on the road. I travel with a 20 ft tandem van towing with a 3 L turbo Diesel Isuzu MUX 4x4. I'll be heading up the east cost late autumn. Looking at some historical sites Probably be on teh road until early spring

Let us know when you bight that bullet, might see you on the road. I travel with a 20 ft tandem van towing with a 3 L turbo Diesel Isuzu MUX 4x4. I'll be heading up the east cost late autumn. Looking at some historical sites Probably be on teh road until early spring
It'll be a few years - then hopefully. Hope and pray the pension plans stay solvent. :)

Back