Messy work bench....

Hukshawn,
You nailed it. So many don't appreciate what they have and those that don't often can't imagine what it's like to have more than they currently possess. Be content with what is here and now. I think of when I had three jobs, a house and a new baby. I thought it sucked, but I was blessed to have that much. Losing my daughter made me realize that what we have at any given moment can disappear in the blink of an eye. I apologize for the somber commentary in a thread that I truly got a laugh out of. Keep this sucker going and lets see who goes to a level of depravity that makes the rest of us not take life so seriously! Let the mayhem continue!

Mark
Mark, I don't know the first thing about your situation, all I know is the devastation I could only imagine of losing my son. Whatever happened in your life, I'm terribly sorry. At the end of the day, it's all just stuff. I would give up every last piece of it to keep my son safe... I had a similar opinion on the gun situation in America's schools... But that's an argument for another place.

Honest, I will tidy it up, on day, maybe, but not tomorrow.
I am unashamedly a messy worker. every tool I use sits where I used it last.
Eventually the pile gets so large that I have no option except to clean up.
At the moment the floor is relatively empty as I had to park the car in there but usually its a bit of a maze.
shed1.jpg
shed2.jpg

This got out of hand. In more ways than one. I actually wasn't expecting the benches I've seen here. I can say now "I've seen some things, and some stuff!":oops:

Not to mention the space the crap actually occupies. Prime shop space. Just left to rot away. The gentleman that now owns all of these things couldn't care less. Hes one of those folks who coasted through life. Always had what he wanted. So now, the value of this realestate and the items it contains are just taken for granted..

Shawn--you thought you were the only one with a messy bench ?--I've worked hard to accumulate all my machines--tools--supplies and property----I grew up in the forties and fifties when machines were valued and were expensive---we didn't have the money even to buy five and ten cent toys---I made my toys out of used wood scraps and an old hand saw, and bent nails I straightened with an old hammer---I was the next to youngest in family of 6 boys and 5 girls---these early days taught me to value tools and machines that we never had
Dad made a homemade wood plate lathe and my sisters painted flowers on them and he used them for gifts--after we all grew up and made our own ways he later collected wood working tools and made items for each of us kids and sold some (craft items and looms and clocks)---till he was 92.
I got a lot of his dreams of making things-- so when I found real bargains on items that were not wanted anymore I was glad to start collecting them---and making my own woodworking machines in the early seventies---in 1974 I got a chance to buy an old Parks A87 planer mill special that was built in middle 1920's(very rare and in good condition)-- for $75 because they wanted it out of an old lumber yard shop---I still have the Parks A87 and that was my start of collecting woodworking machines----in the eighties I wanted to make some wood working machines and sanders so I found out that metal working machines were another world and were more expensive to buy---I bought a new welder for $110 and torch set for $100, and then after the kids were grown I could afford to start buying old used metal lathes--mills drill presses--saws sanders tooling probably 10 tons of metal and on and on----I just don't like to see good repairable machines and items thrown in the trash---even brand new machines--motors--tools-supplies and on and on just get thrown away--I don't have that mentality and never will---sorry this has gotten long so will close for now---later when my benches are clean and neat I will post pictures---Dave

I really enjoyed looking at the photos in this thread. Some of you guys made me feel so much better than I did when I looked at mine. I try to at least put the tools and things I don't want lost (or be able to at least find again) away soon after I'm done with them, but it seems no matter how hard I try to keep things neat, after a couple months or so I finally have to do a routine unscheduled "deep" clean so I actually have room to "work" on the workbenches again. On the positive side, I usually find at least one or two things and get to say "gee I've been looking for that!" What I hate the most is when I can't find something and go buy another/more... then a few weeks later find it. But that works too because then I have a backup until I can't find either of them.

You guys do know that in the time it took you to take those photos of your workbench, download the photos to your computer and then get on the forum and then uploaded your photos and provided a commentary... you could have cleaned up the workbench? (well some of them at least... for a couple of them I'd set aside at least a 3 day weekend).

Well there’s definitely some things here that could be removed, but I’ve touched just about everything on the horizontal surfaces in the past week. Idk...I don’t think it’s terrible. Could be better though.

43B3D8FE-0FE9-4883-BEC0-883E966C5823.jpeg

5AAFD61C-6FE7-41A9-BA18-8C9932CDD4E2.jpeg

You guys do know that in the time it took you to take those photos of your workbench, download the photos to your computer and then get on the forum and then uploaded your photos and provided a commentary... you could have cleaned up the workbench? (well some of them at least... for a couple of them I'd set aside at least a 3 day weekend).
Haha. Mildly true. Because I mainly visit this site on my phone or iPad, I took those photos, opened the site, which is always open in my browser, uploaded while I typed, then posted. Took about 45 seconds. Usually takes me an hour and a half to put everything away... still tho... I haven’t cleaned it yet. Been too busy in the wood shop. Oh well.

Haha. No no. Organized chaos, but organized. Everything has a home and I know where it is when it's not on the bench.

Back