[How do I?] MetalOxide Variator as braking resistor?

I tried the Hitachi software, but it didnt work. It cannot find the device / communication protocol even though the driver shows it is properly installed in device manager of windows 11. The drop down menu in MKSJs spreadsheet that show Auto is just empty. No populated with any options. Rebooted a few times. Had to install dot net 3.5 before it would proceed with installation of .
It would be great if it would work. I was hoping to try 2 different profiles.
Maybe set motor 1 and 2 to the same lathe motor, but switch between motor profiles to test effects of different settings.

The Hitachi software is very buggy and can have issues with the connection interface. You must have the USB driver (PDN module) loaded and last I recall it was only working with USB 2.0. I would unload the driver and then reload it. The current parameter software should load as a single program as opposed to separate modules. You are best off making a single parameter change from the front panel at a time and then testing the motor with that setting, I would not load different parameter sets, you end up not knowing which parameter is a problem. The parameter profile is also specific to the firmware for the particular drive, as well as production lot. As I mentioned I would stay with the high speed motor configuration for now. You can store different parameter profiles, but sometimes reloading a different set back to the drive has sometimes been problematic. The Yaskawa software is much better, but a more expensive VFD.

When making parameter changes/testing the VFD do not turn it on/off frequently as it can lead to failure of the inrush circuit. Whenever you turn off the VFD, allow at least 5 minutes for the capacitors to fully discharged, before turning it back on. I have seen quite a few Hitachi VFD's fail in the last couple of years because of this.

Thanks for the heads up on not turning VFD on/off rapidly, I am prone to do that kind of thing. In fact I may have done that earlier today :)
I will try the software again later. For now I will go through the spreadsheet and see what I missed. Thanks

Braking resistors don't normally get very hot. You are dumping the rotational kinetic energy stored in the motor/spindle into it, not feeding it power continously.
Nice ones are energy rated, so you know how many KJ you can whack it with

Sent from my SM-G715A using Tapatalk

I did not see your listed parameters, I recommend you do a VFD reset and start over, as a number of the changes you made I do not follow. You have B013=02, I would recommend putting back to B013=01 Constant Torque and set B015-B020 to their default values of 0. You are running the motor in constant toque mode, and SLV. One can switch the display to amps to look at amp draw. B012 =100%. Your motor is drawing a bit more than the rated amps so you can dial it up the overload in increments after changing the motor rating until you do not have issues with tripping from over current. An E05 error indicates that either B012 or B013 are incorrect, and to some degree the motor ratings/overload parameters. I would leave B022=150% or even 130% in particular if you are setting the motor at 1.5kW, as there is no 1.1kW (1.5Hp) setting. Not sure what you previously had it set at. Some of the setting may be amps when entering values from the keypad and percentage from the software, yet another Hitachi inconsistency. They are very slow to change, and their next generation of VFD's are much more expensive and have higher deratings under various conditions.

Braking resistor will default to 50 ohms if attached, it does not measure the resistance, just that there is a braking resistor there. Since braking is over 1-2 seconds, they never get more than slightly warm. As mentioned run the static autotune, motion with the belt will fault or give erroneous readings. After you have run autotune, H001 should revert to 0, and you then select H002=02 which will load the autotune parameters. By default, Hitachi drives lock out many of the parameters, so you need to follow the directions attached to unlock them.

Attachments

• WJ200 parameters.pdf
    2.3 MB · Views: 1
I tried the Hitachi software, but it didnt work. It cannot find the device / communication protocol even though the driver shows it is properly installed in device manager of windows 11. The drop down menu in MKSJs spreadsheet that show Auto is just empty. No populated with any options. Rebooted a few times. Had to install dot net 3.5 before it would proceed with installation of .
It would be great if it would work. I was hoping to try 2 different profiles.
Maybe set motor 1 and 2 to the same lathe motor, but switch between motor profiles to test effects of different settings.

I had similar problems and a different shorter USB cable fixed the issue allowing me to connect to my Hitachi VFD.

Thanks for the suggestion MikeInOr. It may have just partially installed because of my initial lack of windows runtime files. It finally installed correctly after an second reinstall. After second install, some other component may have been installed. Now it shows up in Windows manager and I can talk to VFD.I dont know exactly what happened but its all fixed now.
Thanks

MKSJ,
I tried a reset of the VFD. using
B084=02
and B180=1
It did reset somethings, For instance I had the fan delayed before reset, it came on as when new.
But other settings like B037, B031 still had the non-factory settings. I will look again at it tomorrow.
All the different letters begin to get confusing in short order.
Will report back when I get it all setup.
Thanks

Braking resistors don't normally get very hot. You are dumping the rotational kinetic energy stored in the motor/spindle into it, not feeding it power continously.
Nice ones are energy rated, so you know how many KJ you can whack it with

Sent from my SM-G715A using Tapatalk
Dynamic Braking Resistors get F#@ing hot and are usually mounted inside a cage on top of the control cabinet.
Regardless of the manufacturer tech support will help you size DBR'S correctly.
They turn electrical current into heat.

If you are accessing the VFD via the a computer it gives you full access to all the parameters and you can change B037 = 00, and B031 = 10. You need to be careful with the software that you are actually reading the VFD data and saving the data to the VFD and not a file. When you make changes in the software parameter(s), you then need to save the changes to the VFD otherwise they will not be saved to the ROM. I start as a new project each time, otherwise you are not changing the parameters in the VFD but in a saved file. Hitachi software is not intuitive and only by trial and error did I figure out some of the quirks.

In the lathe and mills, the braking dissipation is typically 1-2 seconds and it only handles the over voltage on the buss to prevent it from tripping. I have yet to have the braking resistors get more than warm in this setting. There are situations where it is stopping much bigger loads over a longer periods and they can get extremely hot, that is why with the factory braking resistors they have a thermal switch which can be wired to the VFD to trip an error message. I have also done that with motor embedded thermistors. In these light applications I have not seen an issue with heat from a braking resistor being an issue, but I do mount them to a metal surface to achieve the wattage rating.

Back